zebalong

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sorry im a bit naive on what is considered what in terms of research.

When people say they have X amount of pubs.. does that mean they are first authored on all of them or that they were just listed as an author?

I'm guessing a second authored pub is a good spot to be in- especially as a medical student for residency applications?

Thanks!

Valadi

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It means any position as author.

First author looks great, but residencies are really just looking for # of pubs, presentations, abstracts. When you're trying to become a department chair, that's when the # of first-author publication will really matter. Otherwise, it's just bonus points.

May 24, 2011
Status (Visible)
First author is where the money is at, if you want to erase all doubt. Everyone knows nepotism and throw-in authors play a factor in those middle-late author positions.

About the Ads

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
First author is where the money is at, if you want to erase all doubt. Everyone knows nepotism and throw-in authors play a factor in those middle-late author positions.
:rolleyes:

I'm applying to a very research heavy specialty with zero first author pubs. I can tell you that I've had no problem getting interviews with my 3rd author poster and 3rd author submission. I think they mainly want to see that you've made an attempt at research.

Now, if you're a middle of the road or less competitive applicant, I think first author pubs may be necessary to make up for what you lack in terms of grades/board scores. If you're otherwise competitive, it probably doesn't doesn't matter.

May 24, 2011
Status (Visible)
:rolleyes:

I'm applying to a very research heavy specialty with zero first author pubs. I can tell you that I've had no problem getting interviews with my 3rd author poster and 3rd author submission. I think they mainly want to see that you've made an attempt at research.

Now, if you're a middle of the road or less competitive applicant, I think first author pubs may be necessary to make up for what you lack in terms of grades/board scores. If you're otherwise competitive, it probably doesn't doesn't matter.

How professional of you Jolie. The roll eyes? Seriously? LOL

I said to erase all doubt, 1st author is where it's at. 3rd author authorships can be anything from lightly editing a manuscript to running one gel electrophoresis to writing the entire manuscript and two senior guys snubbed you. The point is there is no doubt about 1st authorship. Sorry you didn't get one.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My third authorship definitely involved running more than 1 gel.

God, I need to find these labs that give away 1-gel authorships.

zebalong

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not looking at a very research heavy field but the particular program I'm looking at is quite competitive so hopefully research this year and next will put me in a good place. Thanks for the insight!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.