Research recommended for IM Subspecialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yodi

See things as they are.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Should" you do research if you're aiming for an IM subspecialty? I understand the importance of having it on your CV if you're going for derm, radio, etc., but am wondering about the subspecialties. I'm an M1, leaning toward primary care, so I'm debating whether or not I want/need to do research for my summer before M2. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Happy new year's by the way!

Members don't see this ad.

In your second year of med school, I'd recommend doing something your are interested in. If your heart isn't in a project, this will end up being a waste of time in the end.

Any sort of involvement to set yourself apart will probably be a good thing. It also depends on whether you are set on going to one of the more competitive programs.

How about. for instance, if I have the chance to do research in the cardiology or oncology (basic science), but am really interested in GI? Woud the fact that you are interested in research (and asuming that you do well) count for something?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are applying for residency, they usually ask what future directions you will take. I think it is best to go into residency with an open mind- if all you are thinking about is going into GI, they might think ignore learning about other subspecialties.

So, being that IM patients do have cardiac, GI and onc problems, such research would probably be a feather in your cap.

And btw, I have heard that a minority of primary care residents choose to go on to fellowships like gi/cardio/onc.

I'd definitely try to do some research during your first year's summer because it is so useful for your career (for residency and fellowship applications). Of course if you were able to do research in your chosen speciality, that would be best, but research in any specialty is good for your CV so don't get feel like just because you do heme onc research, you can no longer be a cardiologist. I'd try and pick a research project that seemed publishable, and one that covered a broad topic in medicine (ie a research project looking at GI bleeding with aspirin usage would probably be better then figuring out the molecular basis of gaucher's disease because so many people take aspirin). Also, if you are dead set on GI or cards or even considering either one of those, I'd reccomend stearing your research into GI or cards as those fellowships practically require research these days. GI and cards research often is applicable to most fields of general medicine too, since so many people have GI and cards problems.

Originally posted by bla_3x
How about. for instance, if I have the chance to do research in the cardiology or oncology (basic science), but am really interested in GI? Woud the fact that you are interested in research (and asuming that you do well) count for something?

Again, as repeated above, I would suggest that you tailor your research to your interests. This helps build your resume and will provide for letters of rec in the future. That being said, doing research in one field does not necessarily limit you to a subspecialty. Just doing any research in medical school is already commendable because it shows academic initiative. However you must do productive research -- productive meaning publications and abstract presentations in meetings. But in the end, all kinds of research will ultimately help you develop your research skill set and you will be able to apply this wherever you go in the future.

Thanks! I really do have an open mind with regards to what I want to do. I really don't know. As a premed I really wanted to do primary care, but my passions may steer me in another direction. GI sound really interesting to me. There is a lot of procedural work mixed with the patient management and such. The pathology seen in this field is really interesting as well.

I am not really interested in cards myself as a career. The subject is fascinating both physiologically and pathologically don?t get me wrong. I just never saw myself doing cardiology. Although, I have done research in the field as an undergrad and have the opportunity to do it in med school. I would love to do some research in GI, but I don?t believe that there is anything going on at my school in that field.

Originally posted by bla_3x
Thanks! I really do have an open mind with regards to what I want to do. I really don't know. As a premed I really wanted to do primary care, but my passions may steer me in another direction. GI sound really interesting to me. There is a lot of procedural work mixed with the patient management and such. The pathology seen in this field is really interesting as well.

I am not really interested in cards myself as a career. The subject is fascinating both physiologically and pathologically don?t get me wrong. I just never saw myself doing cardiology. Although, I have done research in the field as an undergrad and have the opportunity to do it in med school. I would love to do some research in GI, but I don?t believe that there is anything going on at my school in that field.

Seek out a research mentor/advisor. Find an attending in hepatology or gastroenterology, and ask them who is active doing research and if they are interested in having medical students working for them. Most attendings are receptive because they love to teach, and they can't do all the work alone. I would make sure they are proliferative and willing to give credit to their colleagues (namely medstudents and residents who do meaningful work for them).

I would find it hard to believe that no one is doing research at your institution in GI. If there isn't anything viable...seek out other surrounding institutions such as U. of Arizona. Be resourceful.

I would encourage you to do this early in your career if you are thinking about GI because the field has become very competitive and having a beefy resume is important.