Research Related Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogurt the Kid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Hope everyone is having a nice day and getting to enjoy the remainder of the summer. I'm posting to ask people who have interviewed already or those who may just have this knowledge: What are the most common research related questions during interviews? It would be helpful if people could share scenarios, experiences related to research focus during interviews. Also, if you have any general tips, they're welcome.

Thanks much,

Yogurt

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't interviewed yet, but a friend of mine was asked to explain his research so that a 10 year old could understand it. Interesting question, to say the least...

research so that a 10 year old could understand it. Interesting question, to say the least...

i think thats a pretty cool question, and fair game. many scientists have such a problem articulating their research in generally understandable terms - even distilling the essence into simple analogies. an important skill when you are goign to be interacting with a wide range of backgrounds.

for md interviews i've heard that the questions are not too in depth, and are meant to demonstrate that you paid some attention during your experience. a couple friends said in never even came up - but others will have more info on that.
-jot

honestly - most times (this is for Md/Phd) they just go - tell me about your research at ...
the rest is up to you.
so just come up with a minute long synopsis of your research. hit the highlights... what is the question (macroscopically), how did you investigate, what did you find and what does this suggest.