Interview questions about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofudelivery

Reaction score
So as context, I am very determined to go into an MD/PhD program, and I applied to both the MD and MD/PhD programs at my target school with the intention of reapplying and transferring into MD/PhD if I only get in MD the first time. Research has been a really strong part of why I want to go into medicine, so it would play a central role in how I answer the "Why medicine" question. What I'm concerned about is whether I should mention this during the MD interview, or lie and say that I want to do the full 4 year curriculum and pursue a PhD separately afterwards. I'm not sure how it would reflect if I make it clear that I am only applying to one program just to transfer to another program in the same school. In other words, I would have to come up with a completely different answer to "Why medicine" if this isn't acceptable. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing like wanting to enter a profession that values honesty by starting out with a lie.

Why not just get a phd?. You can do research with just an MD degree, and the fact that you would turn down an MD acceptance says that you really don't want to be a doctor

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing like wanting to enter a profession that values honesty by starting out with a lie.

Why not just get a phd?. You can do research with just an MD degree, and the fact that you would turn down an MD acceptance says that you really don't want to be a doctor
That's honestly a great point, and I appreciate the callout. I started thinking about this because I heard indirectly from an MSTP interviewer at this school that they ask you if you'd be willing to accept an MD admission if you didn't get the MSTP spot, and counterintuitively, you're supposed to say "no" to demonstrate how serious you are about research. Would it be acceptable during the MD interview to discuss my interest in translational research with clinical integration, or do they want to hear more about how I want to go into clinical practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
To add on to the wise Goro's advice here, it is my understanding that transferring to a MD/PhD after getting accepted for a MD may not be possible at many institutions. One school that did mention it being possible after the first year of MD also emphasized that it is pretty competitive and not super common.

Reactions: 1 user
It is fine to dual apply to MSTP and MD only, and your answer can include research for the MD only interview. I would not talk about planning to transfer into the MSTP program after admission (since that may not be possible), or talk about getting a PhD afterward (this can be done rarely as part of a handful of competitive fellowships at brand name programs, but is probably even less common than transferring into MSTP).

If you get into the MD only program you should be prepared that you won’t get the PhD, which can be compensated for by pursuing residency and fellowship programs with a research track

Reactions: 1 users
Have you asked the Physician Scientists Forum here? That's where many MD/PhD students and faculty hang out to straighten out some of the myths you seem to have heard about. You also can check out what is discussed in the APSA.

In short summary:
1) One does not simply walk into MSTP or ask to transfer. As mentioned, while the mechanism exists, the reality is much, much different. It can happen, but PD's know how they manage their MSTP slots.

2) This is a more honest answer.
Would it be acceptable during the MD interview to discuss my interest in translational research with clinical integration, or do they want to hear more about how I want to go into clinical practice?
This totally depends on the school that interviews you and why you want to attend their program. I know of at least one program I view highly that has Ph.D.'s doing translational research and has opportunities to shadow residents in clinic as part of their experience (unless that has since changed).

There are many programs that require a scholar project or a "research year." These programs also tend to have MD/PhD tracks. You'll get your opportunities to do clinical/translational research, perhaps even get a masters in that area.

You absolutely need a clue about what why you want to spend 10 years of your life in MD/PhD world and must balance your clinical and research responsibilities over time. That's the cost of the covered tuition of MSTP. Your success will also be highly subject to your chosen PI and mentors.

The TL/DR answer: we want to hear about your understanding of achieving your career goal in translational research. I have no clue what you mean by translational research "with clinical integration" without a solid example or two from your experiences, perhaps even an LOR.

3) People have done PhD first then gone to MD (Francis Collins, though that was decades ago). Know that the training is totally different, and transitioning from a PhD life to an MD life requires a real change in studying and a lot of humility.

At this point, don't sound inflexible (which is really what will ding you with a knee-jerk reaction). Let us know what you value in choosing a path towards translational research, but understand this area needs a lot of diverse-trained individuals and a lot more people who can navigate the infrastructure and bureaucracy.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you asked the Physician Scientists Forum here? That's where many MD/PhD students and faculty hang out to straighten out some of the myths you seem to have heard about. You also can check out what is discussed in the APSA.

In short summary:
1) One does not simply walk into MSTP or ask to transfer. As mentioned, while the mechanism exists, the reality is much, much different. It can happen, but PD's know how they manage their MSTP slots.

2) This is a more honest answer.

This totally depends on the school that interviews you and why you want to attend their program. I know of at least one program I view highly that has Ph.D.'s doing translational research and has opportunities to shadow residents in clinic as part of their experience (unless that has since changed).

There are many programs that require a scholar project or a "research year." These programs also tend to have MD/PhD tracks. You'll get your opportunities to do clinical/translational research, perhaps even get a masters in that area.

You absolutely need a clue about what why you want to spend 10 years of your life in MD/PhD world and must balance your clinical and research responsibilities over time. That's the cost of the covered tuition of MSTP. Your success will also be highly subject to your chosen PI and mentors.

The TL/DR answer: we want to hear about your understanding of achieving your career goal in translational research. I have no clue what you mean by translational research "with clinical integration" without a solid example or two from your experiences, perhaps even an LOR.

3) People have done PhD first then gone to MD (Francis Collins, though that was decades ago). Know that the training is totally different, and transitioning from a PhD life to an MD life requires a real change in studying and a lot of humility.

At this point, don't sound inflexible (which is really what will ding you with a knee-jerk reaction). Let us know what you value in choosing a path towards translational research, but understand this area needs a lot of diverse-trained individuals and a lot more people who can navigate the infrastructure and bureaucracy.

Can you please expand on what you mean by “a real change in studying and a lot of humility” and “this area needs a lot of diverse-trained individuals”?