Research related question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KN19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a psychology major with a bio minor. This coming semester I'm pretty sure I will be an RA in a psychology lab. I really want to do it but will it look bad that I don't have research in something like bio/physics/chem? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

nah. rarely is an undergrad doing any research that is directly pertinent to dentistry anyways. i'm in a neurobiology lab, so sort of similar. there's a certain analytical way of thinking that you develop when you research, and particularly when you land your own project. it's that analytical way of thinking they are looking for you to develop. sure, it might look better were it in bio, chem or physics...but if this is your only option, then go for it and learn as much as you can while you are there! :)

actually contrary to what the other poster said, social science research is a LOT different than bench research. unless it's a psychology lab where you do bench research..like a neuro/psych hybrid, which is totally plausible.

point is, you could find yourself doing behavioral research rather than something on a bench. oooonly negative to this is you can spin bench research as 'manual dexterity' and i'm not sure u can do the same for behavioral research!

in all, you'll learn loads more than you did in your class no matter what you do. research is super rewarding in that way