Research-related update question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiwe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I am going to be second author on a paper submitted in November. We got the revisions back, and they're mostly completed now; the revised manuscript should go back to the editor by Feb. 6th. (2 weeks)

The question
: Can I not mention this in an application update until the manuscript is officially accepted? At this rate, we won't know if it's accepted until February or March, and that is wayyy too late for an update. (Despite the fact that the reviews were positive...)

I was under the impression that submitted = don't bother, but was hoping that maybe in an update letter it might be acceptable (just not on AMCAS). Especially since I mentioned way back in November interviews that we had just submitted this manuscript.

Perhaps a late January/early February update is too late anyway... but thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't lie and say it's been accepted. Just say exactly what the case is. It can't hurt you, unless you lie.

You can't lie and say it's been accepted. Just say exactly what the case is. It can't hurt you, unless you lie.
I don't think that's too late at all (if you've interviewed). If you'd really like to ensure your accomplishment is on the radar, you could always submit an update as the above poster described, then provide another update once it's (hopefully) accepted. Congrats and good luck!

No harm in including it as part of an update. It'd be nice to have some other things to say in the letter as well though -- to better justify your sending it.