Research Relevance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

attarpd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! Sorry if this has already been discussed. I know that research is important for residency, but I was wondering if just research in general is important or does it have to be specifically podiatry research. For example, would programs disregard basic wet lab research even if it is focused on diabetes? Or do programs look for clinical podiatry research? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You will not be penalized or be at a disadvantage for not having research experience when applying for the match.
There is a section to list 'any research experience' while in school, so it's always good to have, but it won't make or break your app.

That said, any type of research experience is fine, and programs don't look for a specific type, imo.

Reactions: 1 user
It may be considered valuable or not. If you visit a program that doesn't care about research at all and you insinuate to them that you must go to a strong research program they may wish you good luck when it comes to the match.

The real question is - do you want to do research in residency. If so - attempt to pursue research heavy programs and they are probably more likely to value the work you have already done as a testament that when you tell them you want to do research you aren't pulling their leg.

Programs would like a lot of things from you. Personality (pleasant to work with), Hard worker (reliable, non-complainer, part of the team, intelligent (teachable, wants to learn, strong foundation). Work to demonstrate and maximum all of your good attributes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't really matter.

GPA + class rank prioritized when picking clerkships.

The app itself what Dexter said, box for EC, box for Research.
CV is uploaded so they might look through it if they havn't screened you out already.

Residency app exact same thing. Box for EC, box for research.
CV also uploaded so they'll see what you've done if they want.

Two things to ask yourself:
How much do you like doing research?
How much time do you want it to consume your personal time doing other things?

Did research in both undergrad and grad school as well as currently. Had enough and don't think its worth doing during residency. Time better spent learning how to be a better doctor.

Doesn't mean research isn't necessary to push this profession forward- just different people have different priorities.

Where are your priorities and how much time do you want research to take away from your life?
Your priorities may change by the time you start and finish school. Same with residency preferences.

Reactions: 1 users
Research works best when you actually learn something from it.

There is barely any real research in surgery. I can read Dr. X's results a ton of times, and I won't get his results. Some of the literature is quite good to use as a framework or will get us thinking, but a good percentage of those publishing or lecturing are just doing it to increase the rep of their facility or themself... or to cash industry checks.

If you are doing research just to have something to beef your app and you're thinking about piggybacking on a project you're not too engaged in, then I would skip it and read about procedures and ideas (from the few good publishers) that you are interested in. That will make you more up to date overall and better prepped for clerkships/residency.

If you can find (or start) a project that you are legitimately interested in, then that is cool. I'd say go for it to learn (assuming you have your other gpa/time ducks in a row), but will it be likely to help you very much in terms of hours:boost ratio for applications? Unlikely. It is more for personal interest. You would be much better off reading Myerson's book than publishing a poster or paper on a sarcoma... but hey, some people can do both.

Reactions: 2 users
Feli has an interesting piece of advice I like above. I'm an author (no where close to 1st) on a study pertaining to essentially my favorite surgery. The work has made follow-up very easy for those surgeries. Yes, my residency would have prepared me to follow them regardless, but I amped up the experience and I don't begrudge the time at all because I love doing those cases.

Random aside. 4th year I'm at a program I liked. A recent graduate read the current class something resembling the riot act basically saying - I just did surgery on the CEO's wife and I don't have enough experience following this type of case and neither will they. It was probably unnecessary - they were a smart group, but it was amusing to me in hindsight since it was a case type I ultimately had such ample experience in.

Reactions: 1 user