EngineerToPod

2+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2017
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Hi everyone!

I've been a long time lurker but I need a little help. Biomedical engineer here, working in a biomaterials lab that specializes in bioactive glass. I'm working on developing new bone cement or bioactive glass and I'm trying to gear it towards foot and ankle surgery application. I was wondering if you guys could link articles that illustrate problems that occur with bone regrowth after a fracture or fusion surgery. I'm having issues finding articles that would help me get started. I've been using PubMed as my search. I'm working with the podiatrist that I shadowed as well. I just really would like to have a paper to cite saying yes this is a problem. The doctor I'm working with thinks this is a good starting point.

Any direction is appreciated. Thanks guys

AttackNME

Podiatrist
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
These cements are applied in a variety of situations each of which are studied distinct from one another. For example, Charcot, osteomyelitis, revision. What has your search consisted of so far?

Edit: Since I have nothing else to do on a Friday night I spent a good 30 minutes trying to look for something without luck. I was trying to find a bone cement review article related to the foot and ankle, closest thing would be bone substitutes such as demineralized allografts. Now that I think about it, I rarely use bone cements, mostly allograft or autografts. There are some case reports or series talking about use of bone cements in fixing ankle cysts after total ankle arthroplasty. May I ask.. why foot and ankle? Why not develop this for hip or knee joint replacements?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.