1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

research required for medical school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnesthesiaMD, May 4, 2007.

1. AnesthesiaMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How much does having undergrad research help a student when applying for medical school? On the other hand, does it hurt to have no experience in this field if my EC, LoRs, MCAT, and GPA is solid (3.50+)?? what if I do get into doing research but in the end have to pubs. to show for it? I will be applying next year (2009 class), so isn't it a little too late in the game for me to have any meaningful experience in this field? Also, I didn't decide that I even wanted to go to medical school until December of 2006.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. premeddick

premeddick Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

A little late?!?!?!?!? You have plenty of time to have meaningful experiences; two years (you can still have them while you are applying). Go out in the next year and get a research gig, a volunteer gig, a shadowing gig, some leadership, some tutoring and it will help you a ton. Two years is a long time.

4. emaj1n

emaj1n M1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Research isn't required, and schools don't expect you to have it (at least not schools outside the top ten). If you don't like research and have no desire to go after a MD/PhD, then don't research. Having a little experience is a nice way to help round-out your application, but it is by no means necessary.

5. SpartanBlueJay2

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As has been discussed in another thread, med school applicants having at least 1 publication is extremely rare. I've done 4 years of research (2 years in one lab) and am just now working on a publication, but it won't have much credence on my primary app since it will not be accepted yet by then. I know people who were in a lab 5 years without a publication... it just depends on luck sometimes. I would say don't let fear of not publishing anything or not having enough time before applying keep you from getting research experience. Sure, a publication looks nice, but I think the most important thing about research is how much it can improve your critical thinking skills.

6. FireDragoonX

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    In my 4th year there's the option of doing a senior thesis. It's a course though, it counts for credits. Could this be placed under EC's as Research experience?

Right now I have no research, I've applied to some research assistant positions, only got 1 interview and didn't get the job. Apart from university job search websites, where else can you get research experience.

I'm also hesitant about asking a prof, especially since they wouldn't know me. How would you approach a prof about research?

7. msundi83

msundi83 Chilled Out Entertainer
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just go up to your prof and express interest. no big deal, most of my profs were more than helpful in pointing me in the right directions.

8. twohearted

twohearted The whistle go . . .
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It absolutely could and should. You are doing research outside of normal class hours right?