Research Requirements

Started by kreno
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which fields usually require a good degree of research while in medical school in order to be a competitive applicant? Also, what KIND of research is looked down/up upon for fields like, say, surgery. For example, I'll be at yale next year but i'm really interested in doing a social/touchy-feely type of research thesis - but I know I wanna be a surgeon.... bad combo maybe?
 
Originally posted by kreno
Which fields usually require a good degree of research while in medical school in order to be a competitive applicant? Also, what KIND of research is looked down/up upon for fields like, say, surgery. For example, I'll be at yale next year but i'm really interested in doing a social/touchy-feely type of research thesis - but I know I wanna be a surgeon.... bad combo maybe?

No field requires research in order to obtain a residency.

However, having done research usually makes you mor competitive when applying to the more competitive fields (ENT, radiology, orthopedics, urology, ophthalmology, and dermatology).

I don't know what type of research is "looked down upon" by certain fields. I would think any effort to get yourself familiar with the process of research would be beneficial. If you do research on drug A v. drug B in the treatment of psychosis, it may not help you get into surgery, but it probably won't hurt you.

As far as touchy-feely research goes, if you feel uncomfortable doing it related to your application, don't do it.