Research residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abeanatrice

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MD/PhD student who is just beginning my PhD years and have just started considering PM&R as a future career. As I plan to do a significant amount of research in an academic setting, I was wondering if PM&R had any residencies similar to the Internal Medicine fast track residencies that cut down on training time to a certain extent and allows for more research? I would love to find a program that would allow me to both pursue a clinical residency as well as not keep me out of the research world for too long.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I cant speak for all the programs out there but I can tell you that GTUH/NRH offers a research option that is probably one of its (only) strengths. Residents have an opportunity to complete six months of their three year curriculum at the NIH. I did research for six months during my third year of residency in the pathophysiology of myofascial pain.

I was in a similar position to yours a decade ago (hard to believe it's been that long) ....

Some key points for maximizing the experience of the PhD- keep in mind the clinical correlates related to PM+R- feel free to PM me if you have any specific question. I would also include some of the relelvant PM+R journals in your weekly search database, just to see if any of the abstracts grab you and give you some clinical perspective on your research. I knew this made a big difference for my dissertation, and I felt like that research skill set has really helped me as a clinician

As for research residencies comparable to what exists within PM+R ....

The closest comp is something called the RMSTP program run by John Whyte and Mike Bonninger, both of whom are outstanding people. The opportunity offered is awesome, although not many people have taken advangate of the opportunity. The details can found at:
http://www.physiatry.org/Research_RMSTP_K12.cfm
If you are serious about a research career in PM+R, I would contact them now- they could probably set you up with some mentorship and possibly funding for optimizing your PhD years, and get you started on a good course into your residency training

Some residencies that have friendly environments for research include:
-NRH- as mentioned, they have the partnership with NIH, which allows for a 6 month block
-Pittsburgh- because Mike Bonninger and Gwen Sowa are there, they have, IMO, the best research support structure of any residency program in the country. UPMC is known nationally for the strength of their research training, particularly in grant writing
- Kessler, RIC, Mayo, UWashington- as is the case for most things, if there is something good to be had, the resources usually exist at these top programs. The ease of tapping into those resouces can be variable and tricky to navigate, though. In the one case I know best (at Kessler), they have a seperate research division within Kessler called KRRMEC, which is a great resource to get involved with. In that particular case, I would email Joel Delisa now and let him know what you are interested in, and see if he can help get you to meet the right people.
- Utah, Colorado- I don't know the specifics, but I know they have really good people at the top to help encourage research
- Arkansas- for someone specifically interested in aging, whether it be exercise response to aging, the aging spine, the affect of aging on muscle, preventing fall risk in the aging, or gender specific responses to the MSK system, UAMS has very tight connection between the researchers and clinician and tremendous physical infrastructure to promote resident research. If I, specifically, were looking for research opportunities as a resident, UAMS is where i would have gone, which is why I am going there as an attending

These are all, as always, just one man's opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Journals with research by physiatrists:

The 2 main journals of PM+R are:
The Red Journal- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
The Blue Journal- American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Muscle & Nerve is the main journal for electrodiagnostics, and the primary researchers are physiatrists and neurologists

Other journals where physiatrists are published include the big ones like JAMA and NEJM.

In my subspecialty (sports and spine), they publish in journals like Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Spine, etc.

Hope that helps

Muscle & Nerve is the main journal for electrodiagnostics, and the primary researchers are physiatrists and neurologists

Other journals where physiatrists are published include the big ones like JAMA and NEJM.

In my subspecialty (sports and spine), they publish in journals like Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Spine, etc.

Hope that helps

There are also publications in subspecialties like spinal cord, brain injury, stroke, etc. etc.

Sorry to go off topic but what quality journals would I find PM&R research by PM&R docs and others involved in the field? Thanks.

As a member of the AAPMR, you will get the Archives of PM&R which provides many good journal articles.

Personally, I have always liked the Blue journal better than the Red one.

At UM we have 2 PMR MD research fellows each year thru a NIDRR grant. This is a 75/25 research/clinical position. Also 3 residents each year get a $2000 grant thru NIDRR to help with research costs (on top of regular resident fund for meetings, etc..)

Hope that helps

Spine Publications:
Spine
The Spine Journal
Pain Medicine
Pain Physician
Neuromodulation

Also occasionally has relevant articles:

Anesthesiology
Anesthesia and Analgesia
J of Bone and Joint Surgery
Some of the radiology journals