Research Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solumanculver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which psychiatry programs are best for a research career? I won't be applying for residency for quite a while (~8 years...), but I'm curious to know which places are best suited for research careers, specifically coming from an MD/PhD background. Wherever it is, my wife has to be able to do a post-doc there, so I want to be able to let her know that it won't be so bad...

Members don't see this ad.

For the west coast, I think the strongest programs for psychiatry research would probably be UCLA, UCSF, UC-San Diego and Stanford.

For the east coast, I think the top programs if you are interested in a research career would be University of Pittsburgh, University of Pennsylvania, Columbia, Mass General Hospital, Hopkins and Yale. Hope that is helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also in the Midwest would add Wash U in St. Louis, maybe U of Iowa and U of Minnesota depending on your specific interests. Cincinnati also has good regional rep.

To rtennis's west coast list would add U of Washington.

In the south, Emory. UAB also has a new chair with a strong research orientation, and that program may be an up-and-comer.

By no means an exhaustive list, but collectively these posts give you a TON of options.

Also, all being major medical centers would have plenty of post-doc options for the spousal unit.

You could look at any of the US News and World Reports Psychiatry programs, and you can develop a decent research career, with postdoc opportunities for your spouse. Have to give a shoutout to WPIC/Pitt, my personal bias, but there are plenty of places particularly for good clinical research, basic or translational you would have to go to a larger program or older program, they are growing, but psychiatry related neuroscience is a bit younger and smaller than more traditional neurology related neuroscience. Speaking as an intern, and in the midst of developing a research career, will defer to other wiser posters who have the long view/historical perspective on the field.

zen76

Take a SERIOUS look at the UMich research track, 5-years for adult, 6 years for combined child and research. If there's somebody there you want to work with, and want to have significant time to do research prior to a post-doc (about 18 months protected time), it's a pretty sweet set up. The only reason I did not rank UMich #1 was because there really isn't anybody working in the relatively small field in which I'm interested.

WPIC has resources out its ears, and has a very flexible research track that provides around 10-12 months mostly protected research without adding any extra time to the residency, essentially putting you in a perfect position for your post-doc. It's the biggest tent in America, and whatever you want to do, there's probably someone there doing something related to it. Except PTSD, for some reason, so the residency director told me once. Maybe because Pitt is strangely detached from the nearby VA? In full disclosure, I ranked them #1.

No love for Duke? Very flexible, and plenty of resources. They propose a very strange "do a year of research for your pgy-1" optional curriculum that, although I can't imagine why anybody would want to do it, shows that they're at least VERY flexible in trying to make research careers happen.

Wash U is flexible with resources and scheduling, but is a smaller tent than UMich and a MUCH smaller tent than Pitt. Cincy has some of the best bipolar work in the country, and their research track is strongly supported, and gets you started earlier with research than just about anywhere (UM and Pitt both expect you to have a few years of clinical under your belt, while your first research month at Cincy will be PGY-1).

Hopkins is of course exceptional for research career, but I'm convinced they use their residents as cannon fodder. I don't know why anyone would go to Hopkins if they could go to any other program in this thread.

Of course, the coastal programs turn out researchers aggressively, and Penn is probably the most underrated in that respect compared to MGH and Columbia and even Yale. On the interview trail, it seemed like in general that the prestigious East coast programs were on average much less flexible with their curricula than other schools, and plenty of folks I talked to felt their clinical loads got in the way of them being able to take advantage of the pletheora of research resources. Yale's child research track is a pretty amazing curriculum, but their faculty interests seemed narrow and entirely unrelated to anything I was particularly interested in. Lots of autism and neuropsych research, hardly any affective disorders.

West coastally, Stanford treats a small number of its residents to a very well supported research track, but otherwise leaves the rest of its residents to languish, at least for those going into child. There was literally no way that anyone I talked to could come up with a way for me to have 5 minutes of protected research time if I stayed there for 5 years for adult and child training. They did have a mechanism by which folks could apply for funding for research time their 4th year if you were adult track. Stanford soured the whole West coast for me, so I cancelled UCLA, UCSF and UCSD interviews, though I imagine they're pretty amazing research institutions that others can comment upon. I did interview at UW for personal reasons, and while their resources weren't as profound as the UCs, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy there, as a researcher or a clinician.

Oh yeah, and I don't know anything about UTSW (except that my friend who is an intern there is very unhappy for un-program related reasons), but it probably shouldn't be left off of a list with good residency research opportunities.

Which psychiatry programs are best for a research career? I won't be applying for residency for quite a while (~8 years...), but I'm curious to know which places are best suited for research careers, specifically coming from an MD/PhD background. Wherever it is, my wife has to be able to do a post-doc there, so I want to be able to let her know that it won't be so bad...

Many of the psych programs have dedicated 'research tracks'. But you could thrive equally well at a program where lots of elective time is offered. For example, UCSF has a research track where you have 30% protected time (Friday afternoons and Mondays) during PGY-3 for research, and 70% protected time during PGY-4. However, at other programs (e.g., Duke?) the PGY-4 year is potentially wide open to elective research. If you know what you want to do, you don't necessarily need the apparatus of a 'research track' -- all you really need is the flexibility and the time. However, if you aren't yet differentiated then you may benefit from the research track apparatus and the seminars and formal mentorship that comes with it.

-AT.

Hey, thanks a lot everyone. This is really helpful.

I am not sure why a Premed would be asking about this... but my take on this.

Don't take a research track that cost you an extra year on residency... Finish residency then apply for a research year fellowship. I feel that you tie yourself down by committing to that one extra year so early. Further, what if you are interested in research on a board certified specialty like addiction or child... in that case you might as well do the fellowship and not bother with the extra year altogether.

My two cents.

Oh yeah, and I don't know anything about UTSW (except that my friend who is an intern there is very unhappy for un-program related reasons), but it probably shouldn't be left off of a list with good residency research opportunities.

'Tis true. I'm on the research track here. There are four of us on the research track in my class (three of us MD/PhDs) and our newly matched incoming class will have four MD/PhDs. So, very research friendly, and tasty BBQ to boot :)