Research Tech. Position Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdelemoneater

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I applied for a Research Technologist position in a lab at Johns Hopkins University. The PI had asked for three official LORs (on letterhead) for submission to Central HR, which he ended up doing. A few days after, after reviewing my information, he reached the conclusion that I would be selected for the position and has told HR to proceed with sending an official offer letter. It has been about 5 business days since then and I still have not heard anything from HR... should I be worried that he has rescinded the informal offer that he provided via email or that something else happened? Or am I just being unnecessarily paranoid about this and should wait a little while longer to hear something back from HR? Would anyone be able to tell me about their experience and how long HR took with crafting an offer letter for them, for their research position?

Members don't see this ad.

Take a deep breath, this can take a while. When is your agreed-upon start date?

If you've not heard by the end of this week (Friday), send a polite email making sure nothing "slipped through the cracks" or "got caught by your spam filter."

Congratulations on the new opportunity!

Take a deep breath, this can take a while. When is your agreed-upon start date?

If you've not heard by the end of this week (Friday), send a polite email making sure nothing "slipped through the cracks" or "got caught by your spam filter."

Congratulations on the new opportunity!

Unfortunately, I have not been given an official start-date yet. The most that has happened, in order is:

1. Interviewed with the PI
2. Submitted official LORs to him (on letterhead), which he then submitted 2/3 to Central HR
3. Mentioned via email that I have been selected for the position and has told HR to proceed with an official offer letter (this was early last week)

I have not heard anything from HR since then unfortunately. In our prior conversations, he had mentioned that the process is entirely out of his hands at this point and that HR will now handle the rest of the hiring process. Might be important to mention, but I have stayed in contact with the PI since last Tuesday to ask about the general timeframe for when I should expect HR to reach out, and he had said that he will follow up in a few days if they have still not done so.

I might just be a little too paranoid about this whole thing...

Unfortunately, I have not been given an official start-date yet. The most that has happened, in order is:

1. Interviewed with the PI
2. Submitted official LORs to him (on letterhead), which he then submitted 2/3 to Central HR
3. Mentioned via email that I have been selected for the position and has told HR to proceed with an official offer letter (this was early last week)

I have not heard anything from HR since then unfortunately. In our prior conversations, he had mentioned that the process is entirely out of his hands at this point and that HR will now handle the rest of the hiring process. Might be important to mention, but I have stayed in contact with the PI since last Tuesday to ask about the general timeframe for when I should expect HR to reach out, and he had said that he will follow up in a few days if they have still not done so.

I might just be a little too paranoid about this whole thing...

From your last comment it seems like HR is known to be busy. As he said he would reach out, politely let him know you’ve not heard word from HR.

Take some deep breaths, it sounds like you’re overthinking it.