Research Technician Position Opening at Baylor College of Medicine

https://medlinkanesthesia.com/
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChristianJames1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, a friend of mine just opened a new lab at BCM and is looking for a research technician. He is also looking for a few undergrad students to work in his lab. He is doing research on the molecular and neurobiological basis of aggressive behavior using drosophila. I am posting this because he is having trouble getting applicants and I know there are plenty of Texans in this forum. Here is the job add for the tech position:

Job Title: Research Technician II

Department: Molecular and Human Genetics / Dierick lab

Salary Range: Min. $22,683 - Mid. $28,921 - Max. $35,159

Essential Functions and Duties: Work includes conducting research experiments under minimal supervision using laboratory techniques in genetics (Drosophila husbandry and crosses), molecular biology (DNA isolation, cloning, PCR, RNA extraction, quantitative RT-PCR), cell biology (brain dissection and fluorescence microscopy), and brain miro injections.

Duties:

1. Maintains Fly stocks and conducts laboratory research experiments (crosses, histology etc).

2. Collects, compiles and analyzes data.

3. Documents results of experiments.

4. Orders laboratory supplies and equipment.

5. Cleans equipment and work area.

6. Assists in the preparation of laboratory reports.

7. Performs other job related duties as assigned.

Minimum Education:

Required: Bachelor's degree in a basic science or equivalent education and work experience.

Minimum Job Experience: No experience required, but Drosophila experience is a plus, particularly experience with histology and immunohistochemistry of the Drosophila CNS.

Minimum Certification/Licenses/Registration: None required.

Additional Information: This is a full-time, hourly position with the possibility of transitioning into a full-time position with benefits.

Job Category: Research/Scientific

Required Documents: Resume

If you are interested PM me and I can give you the rest of his contact info.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the add for the undergrad position:

Job Title: Work Study Student

Department: Molecular and Human Genetics

Hourly Wages: $10-12/hr

Essential Functions and Duties: Work includes preparing food for Drosophila stocks, performing crosses and collecting progeny, performing behavioral experiments (filming and scoring aggression assays), molecular biology (extracting DNA, RNA and performing PCR), injecting fly brains with micro injector to perform RNA interference experiments.

Duties:

1. Prepares fly food and maintains stocks.

2. Performs crosses, collects progeny and conducts aggression assays and molecular experiments.

3. Collects, compiles and analyzes data.

4. Documents results of experiments.

5. Cleans equipment and work area.

6. Assists in the preparation of laboratory reports.

7. Performs other job related duties as assigned.

Minimum Education:

Required: Enrolled in Bachelor's degree in a basic science.

Minimum Job Experience: No experience required.

Minimum Certification/Licenses/Registration: None required.

Additional Information: This is a part-time, hourly position up to 15-20 hrs a week.

Job Category: Research/Scientific

Required Documents: Resume

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a tech there (in a different lab :) )right after I left school. It's a huge campus, with lots of stuff going on, right in the middle of the Medical Center. Pretty classy place. Some labs in particular are shiny and new and hi-tech.

Too bad it's in Houston :barf:
Try not to get hit by the MetroRail.

But if you want a great medical education for (Really, really REALLY) cheap, you could do a texas hell of a lot worse than taking a job like this, getting Texas residency, and applying to Baylor.

Hindsight, you know?

Hey Christian,

I'm interested in that undergrad research spot - I am a student at Boston University, but live in Houston, Texas so there won't be a problem about accomodations since my home is fairly close to Baylor.

I just registered on this website to ask you to give me the professor's contact info.

Thanks
- Taher

Hi, there:

I am interested in this position. Could you please email me contact information of Dr. Dierick?(email: [email protected])

Thank you very much!

Luckyyou

Hi, there:

I am interested in the Research Technician position. Could you please give me the doctor's contact infomation?
Thank you !