1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Research then MD

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by user003, Jul 30, 2011.

1. user003

user003 lab slave

Non-Student
    I currently work as a research assistant at a research oriented medical school, and I'm planning on applying there in 2012 pending my MCAT score :help:. I was wondering whether a university favors applicants who have worked as RAs there? Or is all research experience the same in the eyes of the admission committy?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nysw

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    I don't think it gives you a considerable leg up. It might help get your foot kind of in the door (if GPA & MCAT are competitive) for an interview b/c you're somewhat familiar with the institution, but I don't think schools favor their RAs.

4. jmt1984

7+ Year Member

I don't think that it necessarily gives you an advantage, but if you've made considerable contacts there and have letters of recommendations from them, most schools will regard a letter from a current faculty member as 'safer' than someone they have never met.