Research then MD

Started by user003
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

user003

lab slave
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I currently work as a research assistant at a research oriented medical school, and I'm planning on applying there in 2012 pending my MCAT score :help:. I was wondering whether a university favors applicants who have worked as RAs there? Or is all research experience the same in the eyes of the admission committy?
 
I don't think it gives you a considerable leg up. It might help get your foot kind of in the door (if GPA & MCAT are competitive) for an interview b/c you're somewhat familiar with the institution, but I don't think schools favor their RAs.
 
I don't think it gives you a considerable leg up. It might help get your foot kind of in the door (if GPA & MCAT are competitive) for an interview b/c you're somewhat familiar with the institution, but I don't think schools favor their RAs.

I don't think that it necessarily gives you an advantage, but if you've made considerable contacts there and have letters of recommendations from them, most schools will regard a letter from a current faculty member as 'safer' than someone they have never met.