Research under Professor/Associate/Assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am an undergrad who is interested in participating in research. Should I aim to work for a Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, or Lecturer? Does it matter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter. Only time where I could say it matters is if the person reading your app personally knows the person who you did research with. This is more likely if your PI is a big name person (so most likely a full-fledged professor).

Outside of this, I can't see it mattering much - what is MUCH more important is your PI being a nice, genuine person who is willing to be a mentor for you (not just treating you like a workhorse).

That being said, it may be unfortunate if you work with an assistant professor, and then after a couple years, he/she does not get tenure... you might get left out in the cold and have to find a new PI in that case... just do your research and find someone you're interested in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Assistant Professors have not yet gone up for tenure. Associate and (full) Professors have.

The differences between them are not really important for premed. Yes, assistant professors may not get tenure, but you shouldn't be there longer than 2-3 years as a premed anyway.

The PI's title won't make significant difference for your future application.

The lab to look for:

supporting environment, the PI or other lab members are willing to teach and mentor;
conduct research projects align with your passion and interest;
offer novel techniques (gene editing, stem cell, etc.)