Research vs Away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am decided what to do for my first rotation of M4 year. I am going in to radiology and will be taking my 4 week elective at my home school in August. In July I have the choice of

1: doing either a 4 week research elective that will probably result in an abstract submission (but definately not known acceptance as the submissions arent due until April 2008)

2: doing an away rotation at a residency I would like to go to

My question is, might that research experience benefit my application even though i will definately not have anything accepted by the time residency apps are due??

Members don't see this ad.

I am decided what to do for my first rotation of M4 year. I am going in to radiology and will be taking my 4 week elective at my home school in August. In July I have the choice of

1: doing either a 4 week research elective that will probably result in an abstract submission (but definately not known acceptance as the submissions arent due until April 2008)

2: doing an away rotation at a residency I would like to go to

My question is, might that research experience benefit my application even though i will definately not have anything accepted by the time residency apps are due??

Well, the research will help you at the program in your institution. You will be better known to the faculty, and that goes a long way. Someone who knows you better because of a deeper level of interaction related to research will be able to write you a very nice letter of recommendation. It will also help somewhat with other programs because it will show a strong interest in the field. Even if you haven't had the abstract accepted yet, you can always describe it as "in progress" or "submitted to X."

The externship is hit or miss. If you truly want to attend a particular program, then doing an away rotation there really shows interest. At my institution, I noticed that many MSIVs who did externships were favored over similarly qualified but unknown candidiates. However, you have to be on your top game (both academically and personality wise) while you are on rotation. It is easier to look good on paper than in person, and showing up in person gives people a chance to see all your warts and pimples. If you are already an outstanding candidate (AOA, boards >90th percentile, great letters including Deans letter), you will be definitely be noticed regardless of whether you did an externship or not.