Research vs. Dental lab position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeStorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I am searching for something to occupy my summer. There are two possible things I could do. One is doing research with a professor in the medical school. His reseach is based on neuroscience, which is not too much related to the dentistry. But that professor has taught in a dental school before. Another thing I could do is volunteering at a dental lab. I don't know what I should do. I want to do both, but I also have to volunteer at a public health dental clinic and take summer classes. So can anyone help me make the decision?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

OrangeStorm said:
Hi, guys. I am searching for something to occupy my summer. There are two possible things I could do. One is doing research with a professor in the medical school. His reseach is based on neuroscience, which is not too much related to the dentistry. But that professor has taught in a dental school before. Another thing I could do is volunteering at a dental lab. I don't know what I should do. I want to do both, but I also have to volunteer at a public health dental clinic and take summer classes. So can anyone help me make the decision?

Thanks a lot.

Are you interested in that professor's area of research? If yes, then definitely take that job. Even though it may seem unrelated to dentistry, research experience will make you a stronger applicant. Also, you are already getting exposure to dentistry through your volunteering at the public health clinic. I've been working in spinal cord injury research and therapy for the past few years. It has nothing to do with dentistry but I'm doing something I enjoy, it's been an awesome experience,and it ended up being a focal point of my application.

Are you accepted to dental school? If you are work in the dental lab. I work in a dental lab right now making fixed and removable dentures. It is really good experience. In dental school you may need to do alot of lab work and it will give you a better understanding of what your labs do. You'll be able to judge their work better, because you understand the process and techniques they use. However, you also may not need to do alot of lab work in dental school. It all depends on the school you go to. If you're not going to dental school in '06, then I would go for the research. That professor could write a good letter of recommendation for you and I think that research helps your application more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tche said:
Are you accepted to dental school? If you are work in the dental lab. I work in a dental lab right now making fixed and removable dentures. It is really good experience. In dental school you may need to do alot of lab work and it will give you a better understanding of what your labs do. You'll be able to judge their work better, because you understand the process and techniques they use. However, you also may not need to do alot of lab work in dental school. It all depends on the school you go to. If you're not going to dental school in '06, then I would go for the research. That professor could write a good letter of recommendation for you and I think that research helps your application more.

This is my second year, so I haven't applied any dental schools yet. But I think you are right, I can ask the professor for a letter of recommendation in the end. Honestly, I have no knowledge on that professor's research.

So here is a question for you: You’re handed a syringe w/ Isocaine 3% + epinephrine, explain how this local anesthetic prevents the patient from feeling any pain and why only in the area it has been injected.

To answer the question, your going to have to have some detailed understanding of neuroscience.

The actual topic the proffessor is researching may be different, but a lot of the mechanisms will be the same.

ps...I'm in the same boat you are. I tried to do research, but lost interest in what our group was doing after 2 years. We didn't really get anything done, and so I decided my time would be better spent elsewhere. There aren't really a lot of research opporunities at my undergrad school, so I'm probably going to stick w/ getting experience on the dental end until another research project comes up or I can find something somewhere outside of my school.