Research Vs. Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmkleinb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a newly admitted student starting their PY1 year in the fall, I am having some difficulty deciding between which path I want to take during pharmacy school: an internship(hospital preference) or research.

My goal is to get into a residency program once I graduate. Additionally, I hope to get into the schools MBA program which can only be applied to post PY1 completion and is quite competitive(very few slots designated for PharmD students).

My question is, which of these two paths do you believe is a better launching pad to acceptance into both of these programs?

P.S. I have some research experience as an undergraduate chemistry major so I know that I enjoy bench-work.

I only ask this question because I personally feel that it would be difficult for me to do both concurrently without sacrificing energy and performance in both fields.

Members don't see this ad.

As a newly admitted student starting their PY1 year in the fall, I am having some difficulty deciding between which path I want to take during pharmacy school: an internship(hospital preference) or research.

My goal is to get into a residency program once I graduate. Additionally, I hope to get into the schools MBA program which can only be applied to post PY1 completion and is quite competitive(very few slots designated for PharmD students).

My question is, which of these two paths do you believe is a better launching pad to acceptance into both of these programs?

P.S. I have some research experience as an undergraduate chemistry major so I know that I enjoy bench-work.

I only ask this question because I personally feel that it would be difficult for me to do both concurrently without sacrificing energy and performance in both fields.

Speaking from what past speakers have told me; both research and pharmacy internships look really good when applying to residencies. If I had to pick one to focus on, I would definitely focus on internships.

If its basic research, you'll have a hard time selling that experience to residency directors. If its clinical research, I'd definitely take that over an internship if you're interested in clinical pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a little unsure what you define as basic and clinical research. Wouldn't clinical research include anything to do with the discovery, testing, and synthesis of any sort of drug or medication? It may be my naive view as a student, but to me it seems nearly all research done at a pharmacy program would fall under these categories. If you could clarify this I would appreciate it.

I am a little unsure what you define as basic and clinical research. Wouldn't clinical research include anything to do with the discovery, testing, and synthesis of any sort of drug or medication? It may be my naive view as a student, but to me it seems nearly all research done at a pharmacy program would fall under these categories. If you could clarify this I would appreciate it.

Clinical research = having to do with people. If it happens before that point, its considered basic science or bench research

Ok- thank you for the clarification. Is research that falls into that category usually done by upperclassmen due to the fact that they have some pre-requisite knowledge or is it possible to get into really early on? I know that question may be situational and school dependent, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I would go with the internship. I don't think you would have any trouble working in a lab, especially if you have previous experience. At least at my school, pharmacy students weren't exactly clamoring for these types of experiences.

I did bench research in pharmacy school. It's fine if you have an interest in it and you have enough free time to devote to it. However, you will be much better off with a hospital internship if residency is your goal.