Research within what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Should I research within hematology or oncology if onc/hem is my goal fellowship after IM residency?

Currently I'm in med school in Sweden and wonder what the best for me would be in terms of research.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I will try to be helpful here.

Look at the PubMed profiles of the Hem/Onc attendings at your school. Identify 3 or so who seem to be doing stuff that is interesting and who have published something (other than reviews) in the past two years in those areas. Approach those attendings about working with them. Your private goal should be to present a poster at a national/international conference with a goal to publish an original manuscript before graduating medical school. All of the above is much more feasible if you have a mentor who has a clear track record of mentoring medical students who publish, so pay attention to that as well and ask them what type of experiences they have had with students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I really research within hematology if oncology is what I want to practise later? I'm thinking this in case there are no oncology-research opportunities.

Yes. I will try to be helpful here.

Look at the PubMed profiles of the Hem/Onc attendings at your school. Identify 3 or so who seem to be doing stuff that is interesting and who have published something (other than reviews) in the past two years in those areas. Approach those attendings about working with them. Your private goal should be to present a poster at a national/international conference with a goal to publish an original manuscript before graduating medical school. All of the above is much more feasible if you have a mentor who has a clear track record of mentoring medical students who publish, so pay attention to that as well and ask them what type of experiences they have had with students.
Thank you for writing this! Would this be the same advice for an intern/resident without research hoping to get into hem/onc?

Thank you for writing this! Would this be the same advice for an intern/resident without research hoping to get into hem/onc?
Broadly speaking, yes. Although as a resident, you should be looking at latching onto a project already in progress (or something you can slice a chunk off of and have as your own) that will require minimal time input on your part and have a high likelihood of at least being presented at a national meeting in the following 12 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Broadly speaking, yes. Although as a resident, you should be looking at latching onto a project already in progress (or something you can slice a chunk off of and have as your own) that will require minimal time input on your part and have a high likelihood of at least being presented at a national meeting in the following 12 months.
Would you say that the research efforts during residency > those during medical school in general with regards to onc/hem fellowship?

Would you say that the research efforts during residency > those during medical school in general with regards to onc/hem fellowship?

My think your role in the research is important. If you didn't play an important role during residency, then the experience may count less.