Research Year/Scheduling Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpenguin65

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm signing on for a clinical research fellowship from this summer to next. Essentially, it'll be an 10 or 11 month commitment depending on the end date; I have the option to end at the end of April or May. In terms of scheduling advanced electives/aways (likely an advanced at my home institution and 2 aways), would it be best to be able to start this in May? Or does re-starting the rotations in June not set me too far back? The fellowship is with a well-established dermatologist who I think is going to add a lot to my app, so I think I'll get a lot out of that extra month, but I don't want to get set behind.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm signing on for a clinical research fellowship from this summer to next. Essentially, it'll be an 10 or 11 month commitment depending on the end date; I have the option to end at the end of April or May. In terms of scheduling advanced electives/aways (likely an advanced at my home institution and 2 aways), would it be best to be able to start this in May? Or does re-starting the rotations in June not set me too far back? The fellowship is with a well-established dermatologist who I think is going to add a lot to my app, so I think I'll get a lot out of that extra month, but I don't want to get set behind.

I would take a look at this thread: Scheduling Derm Rotations?

My recommendation is to do your home rotation in August. That way, you'll get exposure to the new 1st year residents (who will be your senior/chief residents if you should match at the program) and it will give them a month to settle in (the teaching focus is rightfully on the 1st year residents during July, their 1st month)

If you cannot wait until August, I would aim for July.

Starting your rotations in April or May means not being able to rotate with people who will potentially be your senior/chief residents.

Reactions: 1 user