Research year with the lower output PD or high output powerhouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anakinmemer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option to do a research year (surgical sub) with someone who's very famous in the field and has an extremely high output lab (H-index of 86) but has quite a big lab and thus wouldn't be able to fill a true mentor role and would be more difficult to communicate with

OR
My schools PD for the residency who I feel would be easier to fulfill a mentor role but has lower research output and isn't as famous in the field. However he is part of the subspecialty I want to do fellowship in whereas the other is part of a subspecialty I have no interest in.

I'm not a seasoned researcher so I think I will need guidance throughout the year which is why im leaning towards the PD but I guess am wondering how much weight a letter from a powerful name in the field carries (I'd have to write the letter myself) and if it would be stupid to pass up on that lab

Edit: To clarify, both labs are part of the specialty I want to match, but the PD's lab is also in the fellowship I'm interested in whereas the large lab is not. So I figured getting publications in the fellowship field would help in my application to that fellowship down the line.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong either way. But if your home PD is in the specialty you want to go into then that will probably be better. Unless you want to go into a research heavy field like ortho/derm/nsg.

If you do it with the home PD, do it because you want to match there. The only difference between a rich and productive PI and a small time PI is that in the rich lab you have a bunch of resources but your PI ignores you. In the small lab you have nothing... and the PI still ignores you.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do it with the home PD, do it because you want to match there. The only difference between a rich and productive PI and a small time PI is that in the rich lab you have a bunch of resources but your PI ignores you. In the small lab you have nothing... and the PI still ignores you.
Ehh that's not entirely true. A better way to say it would be that you're almost guaranteed to be ignored in the big rich lab while you still have a good chance of being ignored in a smaller lab.

I've worked in 1 big lab and 3 small labs, and 2 of the 3 PIs were very involved (honestly too involved at times). My thesis advisor used to have a huge lab and downsized in part to be able to spend more time mentoring.

For that third small lab, I interact with that PI more now that I'm not in that lab than when I was there, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess a follow up question is in these big rich labs would I have to be very skilled independently to get lots of publications or is it just something where they throw my name on things I barely helped with.

Like if I'm inexperienced would the big rich lab even be useful to me if I don't know how to utilize the resources without help.

But the large lab is not in your specialty right? Or do you mean a less desired subspecialty of your intended specialty?

But the large lab is not in your specialty right? Or do you mean a less desired subspecialty of your intended specialty?
The latter, sorry for the confusion.

I don't know if the advantage of the big name researcher in getting me into a better residency would outweigh the advantage of getting publications in the area I want to do fellowship in when it comes to fellowship apps

The latter, sorry for the confusion.

I don't know if the advantage of the big name researcher in getting me into a better residency would outweigh the advantage of getting publications in the area I want to do fellowship in when it comes to fellowship apps
I'm just a med student, so there are limits to what I know, but my two cents is that it is too early to worry about fellowship and that most people change their mind about which subspecialty they will do. Even having research in the same overall specialty is a big win. Just go with whichever lab you like more. If you are in a positive environment, you will get more done.

I have the option to do a research year (surgical sub) with someone who's very famous in the field and has an extremely high output lab (H-index of 86) but has quite a big lab and thus wouldn't be able to fill a true mentor role and would be more difficult to communicate with

OR
My schools PD for the residency who I feel would be easier to fulfill a mentor role but has lower research output and isn't as famous in the field. However he is part of the subspecialty I want to do fellowship in whereas the other is part of a subspecialty I have no interest in.

I'm not a seasoned researcher so I think I will need guidance throughout the year which is why im leaning towards the PD but I guess am wondering how much weight a letter from a powerful name in the field carries (I'd have to write the letter myself) and if it would be stupid to pass up on that lab

Edit: To clarify, both labs are part of the specialty I want to match, but the PD's lab is also in the fellowship I'm interested in whereas the large lab is not. So I figured getting publications in the fellowship field would help in my application to that fellowship down the line.
I would use the proposed project to decide. A year is not a long time in research.

Reactions: 2 users
A lot of nuance here. Back in my day, one publication in a good journal could get your foot in the door for an interview pretty much anywhere. However, that foot was also from somebody who knew somebody.

First, the projects with either need to be doable within your timeframe. Second, you want to have enough contact with the mentor that they go to bat for you at residency application time (get there before fellowship). Third, people still want to do lab research? Man, I’m old.

I suspect you’ll get more mileage out of the position with the PD, at the very least you have an in at one program. Best of luck.

Fellowship and subfellowships don't matter when you're talking about applying to residency. Basically you should join the lab that gives you the highest chance at high research output. A big name can help but it doesn't help when they don't know you well enough to write you a strong letter. And it can be awkward writing your own letter because you don't know how many superlatives you should put in there (don't want them to think you have a big head when they edit it).

Having a great mentor >> research >>>>>> big name. That mentor can go to bat for you down the line and if they know you well, they can write an immensely strong letter for you that will help you way more than any lukewarm letter from a big name.

Us small-time labs have more stake in the game as far as making sure projects work and typically get our hands dirtier, because their are less hands to go around in general.

But because there are less hands, there is less work produced in general compared to the big timers.

1 year of research is also incredibly unlikely to produce anything of value so I would go with the idea of going to the lab that fits your interests better.

I would just like to throw in that working with the PD can be a double edged sword.

You'll really want to impress him every day. If he doesn't like you, either for bad work ethic or you just don't vibe, that may be harmful if you want to match at his institution.

I would just like to throw in that working with the PD can be a double edged sword.

You'll really want to impress him every day. If he doesn't like you, either for bad work ethic or you just don't vibe, that may be harmful if you want to match at his institution.
That’s pretty much why i’m hesitant to suggest that option. Too high risk for a possibly low reward. Probably better to pick the high powered lab even if the PI letter might be lukewarm