Research Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthowannabe1

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am going to bring it up anyway ;). I am from a smaller ophtho program that is not in the top 20 in terms of NIH funding. I have a decent resume, but being from a smaller program, I feel like I would benefit from a year of research.

I have a couple ideas. 1. Try to work at the NIH for a year. 2. Work with a big name researcher. As for the latter, how does one get funding for such things? I know about the HHMI but it seems like it may be impossibly hard to get. Anyone get direct funding from any labs? If so, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am going to bring it up anyway ;). I am from a smaller ophtho program that is not in the top 20 in terms of NIH funding. I have a decent resume, but being from a smaller program, I feel like I would benefit from a year of research.

I have a couple ideas. 1. Try to work at the NIH for a year. 2. Work with a big name researcher. As for the latter, how does one get funding for such things? I know about the HHMI but it seems like it may be impossibly hard to get. Anyone get direct funding from any labs? If so, please PM me.

We can all see your past messages, so Im gonna put it out there.

The size of your ophtho program is not an issue for the match nor is the fact that it is not a top 20. Your 227 is tough though given the current match stats. That's the reason I recommend a research year, but it's not a guarantee. You just gotta go for it and stop doubting yourself.

I recommend working with someone famous at a top 10 program. Funding options are RPB fellowship or one of the HHMI grants that is not at the NIH. Another option is going unpaid. It's worth it if you can work it out with your family. Funded research is hard to obtain.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your advice DrZeke. Unpaid is what most of the PIs have been suggesting. How can I afford to live for a year without any sort of income? What do people do in this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice DrZeke. Unpaid is what most of the PIs have been suggesting. How can I afford to live for a year without any sort of income? What do people do in this situation?

Some schools allow you to part time and still take loans if you complete a certain number of credits in that research year. It all depends on the structure of your school.

Otherwise, can you live with family or significant other or w roommates to reduce cost of living for a year?

You should check with your school, 1) Federal work study deals can we worked out so that you can be paid 9.50 an hours for the semester prior to returning to your school for 4th year. (that at least comes out to 12-14,000 right there (your PI might need to chip in 10%) 2) Ask your Alumni association to see if they might reach out to the alumni network to help you out (there are many people who are able to support you, and want to because they have money now and remember how tough the entire process was. 3) There are smaller research awards you can apply for that do not technically pay the big bills but dude (or dudette) if you need money I'll tell you I was ready to take a 20 dollars if someone was willing to donate it to my cause. 4) and finally, apply to all of the Big Year off funding programs because well as I found out this year, you never know what your future has in store for you.

At the end of the day just remember all of this might fell impossible, but you will never get anywhere if you don't try.