Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hyperthymestic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an open question to those knowledgeable on the subject, is research generally necessary to match into neurosurgery? I seem to get conflicting answers everywhere I look, so I would really appreciate any current nsgy residents' or attendings' input.

A little about me: I got my step 1 score back last week - 251 - and I'm currently ranked #2 in my class. Not much as far as extracurriculars. I got a couple scholarships from my school after MS1 and I suspect I'll get them again this yr. Also, I did do some research between MS1/MS2 but it was a **** show that didn't amount to anything really, unfortunately, and I would really prefer not to have to ever do that again during medical school. During residency? Sure! But I don't want to try to work on something while on the wards, it would be a half-ass effort and I'm not a big fan of it anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Required? No. But many programs will expect you to have at least some published work when you apply, especially if you are eyeing programs with stronger academic-path leanings. I suggest biting the bullet, however much you disliked your prior research experience, and seek out a case report or two, a clinical project, or some outcomes research. You may find that under guidance of another resident/faculty member research is not such an undertaking. You really shouldn't have any trouble finishing a small clinical project or two while on the wards, you will have some rotations that will lend themselves (time wise) to more flexibility than others. You could not do research, and you could still match, as you seem like an otherwise strong candidate. However, why not put in a little extra effort to avoid what would be a hole in one of the "big" three arms of your application (step scores, clinical grades/aways, research)?

Yea, I know I probably should do a case report or two, but I doubt they would even have the chance to be published by application time. Thanks for the reply by the way, MSIV applying to nsgy?

Yes, applying this cycle. Just remember that for things to end up on ERAS you just need to have them submitted. You absolutely could write up something in the next month or so and get it submitted somewhere. Obviously, it is not as a great as a publication, but it will give you something to list and talk about on interviews (by interview season you may have something actually accepted too).