Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcg16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a career involving protected time for research without putting in crazy hours to secure your own grants? I love the creative aspect of research, but want to have decent work/life balance.

Members don't see this ad.

A good model for that is to negotiate a small amount of protected time (20%) and then get salary support as a co-investigator or consultant on someone else's grant. Another possibility is to be a site investigator for pharma trials (though this doesn't allow for much creativity).

I know of psychologists who have done this. Is it common for psychiatrists to have this opportunity as well (since presumably their time would be more costly to buy out)?

I know of psychologists who have done this. Is it common for psychiatrists to have this opportunity as well (since presumably their time would be more costly to buy out)?

Every institution is different, but in general, if you are able to negotiate protected time the institution will usually cover salary and fringe above the funding agency's salary cap.