Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevbot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me the lowdown on whether research is neccesary or even beneficial to residency placement. I've heard different things such as, it only helps if the research is published, or that only if the research is in the field to which you are applying. Someone please impart thier wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

Kevbot said:
I've heard different things such as, it only helps if the research is published, or that only if the research is in the field to which you are applying.

I have been told that if it is published, it will help but I don't know to what extent.

It depends on the specialty. You should read the FAQs in the Resident forums and ask around. I think Derm, Radiology, and other highly competitive specialties basically require some research to make your application strong. Radiation Oncology research publications are needed but not necessarily on Rad Onc. Anesthesiology is not highly competitive at the moment and research is not a necessity. This is info I received from reading the residency forums so check out any forums you think are interesting. You also may want to check if research should be basic science or clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research or no research? The short answer is, YES! One of the assistant deans at PCOM, there are so many, told us that research sweetens your CV in a major way. The thing is, residency programs are under much pressure to put out doctors who can create new medical information through research. See, medicine more than ever is an academic field. Hell, 20 years ago we were "watching" people with strokes to see if they "got better". Thus, new knowledge is what drives modern medical advances. And with new advances comes the green stuff. (Like most things, you can root this in money).

So, if new applicants are familiar with writing and publishing research before entering a residency program, there is a good chance that student will publish when he or she is out of residency. Furthermore, it just doesn't matter what, where, why you did your research. As long as the program knows that you are a person who is willing to conduct research, they will put a big gold star beside your name. Now, I would say it must be something in a field of science - no history buffs!

Finally, research is just one part of the puzzle. You have to play the game to get the competitive spots.

I would say the formula for a top residency spot goes like this: High Boards, Honors/High pass rotation grades, research in the field, 1/2 year GPA, extracurs. What does everybody else think of that order, accurate or no?

Dr. Yanknpull said:
Research or no research? The short answer is, YES! One of the assistant deans at PCOM, there are so many, told us that research sweetens your CV in a major way. The thing is, residency programs are under much pressure to put out doctors who can create new medical information through research. See, medicine more than ever is an academic field. Hell, 20 years ago we were "watching" people with strokes to see if they "got better". Thus, new knowledge is what drives modern medical advances. And with new advances comes the green stuff. (Like most things, you can root this in money).

So, if new applicants are familiar with writing and publishing research before entering a residency program, there is a good chance that student will publish when he or she is out of residency. Furthermore, it just doesn't matter what, where, why you did your research. As long as the program knows that you are a person who is willing to conduct research, they will put a big gold star beside your name. Now, I would say it must be something in a field of science - no history buffs!

Finally, research is just one part of the puzzle. You have to play the game to get the competitive spots.

I would say the formula for a top residency spot goes like this: High Boards, Honors/High pass rotation grades, research in the field, 1/2 year GPA, extracurs. What does everybody else think of that order, accurate or no?

Your list sounds good and I would add excellent letters of recommendation close to the top of your list.