research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pej933

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to do one year of research in anesthesiology/pain at a very prestigous program. I'm thinking this is going to help my application for anesthesiology for next match. I've talked to their attendings and they agree that it's a good idea. Because, I was unmatched this year due to a late change from surgery to anesthesia, I think research will show that I'm truly committed to the field. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It can't go wrong. I've run into a couple people who ended up matched the following year at the very place where they did the research, as well.

Research goes a long way, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think it's a good opportunity. Hopefully, it will work out.

Right now, deciding between an internship or a research year. Would the research in anesthesiology push further than would internship? Are programs impressed with research in anesthesia?

pej933 said:
Right now, deciding between an internship or a research year. Would the research in anesthesiology push further than would internship? Are programs impressed with research in anesthesia?

if i were you I would do an internship..

cmon dude..

anesthesia is not that competitive

finish your training as fast as you can..

so do the internship..

talk to as many programs as possible..
doesnt matter where you go.. just go anywehre and finish your training

you can be good doesnt matter where you are as long as you are motivated

well, this is a very prestigous program and the letters from here go a long way. Also, I do have a chance (yet small due to low USMLE scores) to interview there. Also, gives me ample time to do the whole interview thing during research year whereas during internship, it is a pain in the ass.

On the other hand, i can finish internship year, you're right and try to get a spot. However, it may not be the best place I could have landed.

Is it possible to do something like a transitional year? I've heard those provide you with a bit more free time.

And perhaps you can use that free time to pursue a research project?

Or is that too ambitious and fitting too much into one year?

Sure that is possible, the intern year i'm considering is an osteopathic traditional rotating internship which is like a transitional year, sort of.

But, thought, research would be the better option. The attending I spoke to at the research program who also sits for the resident selection committee thinks it's a good idea. Also, other physicians have said it's a good idea given the program's prestige. I'm just really nervous about the right choice?

In that case, I guess it comes down to what you want in terms of an anesthesiology residency. If you are looking at the top notch programs, a year off during research for a very prestigious program sounds very unique and interesting!

If your goal is to just match somewhere, then you may save some time by just doing your prelim year and reapplying. (This is riskier too because you haven't done too much to improve your application!)

Overall, I'd say go for the research. That one year you're "wasting" by not entering your prelim year will be insignificant in the long run I think!

pej933 said:
Sure that is possible, the intern year i'm considering is an osteopathic traditional rotating internship which is like a transitional year, sort of.

But, thought, research would be the better option. The attending I spoke to at the research program who also sits for the resident selection committee thinks it's a good idea. Also, other physicians have said it's a good idea given the program's prestige. I'm just really nervous about the right choice?

Yeah, I think the year of research is a good thing to do. Don't be afraid about this choice -- just go for it!

It sounds like you have already made your decision. I think that a year of research would definitely improve your application. Some of the questions posed to you are definitely worthwhile.

Where do you want to train?
How competitive are you at the programs you are interested in?
Where will you be happy?
Does it made where as much as if you get into a program?

These are questions only you can answer for yourself. One thing you might think about doing is proceeding with your intern year and applying through the match next year, or contacting programs outside of the match for availability of slots. If things don't work out, then you might still be able to do the year of research and not be any further behind the eight ball.

Even while writing this something has dawned on me. You might want to do some research as to how many CA-1 spots would be available this time next year. If you are not as competitive as you might like, doing an intern year might put you back in the same position next year, and forced to apply for spots that open a year from when you match.

Tough decision for sure. I would be honest with myself about my application, and if you are not in any big hurry the year of research and application improvement may be worth it. Not a very helpful post for sure. Good luck.

Carm said:
It sounds like you have already made your decision. I think that a year of research would definitely improve your application. Some of the questions posed to you are definitely worthwhile.

Where do you want to train?
How competitive are you at the programs you are interested in?
Where will you be happy?
Does it made where as much as if you get into a program?

These are questions only you can answer for yourself. One thing you might think about doing is proceeding with your intern year and applying through the match next year, or contacting programs outside of the match for availability of slots. If things don't work out, then you might still be able to do the year of research and not be any further behind the eight ball.

Even while writing this something has dawned on me. You might want to do some research as to how many CA-1 spots would be available this time next year. If you are not as competitive as you might like, doing an intern year might put you back in the same position next year, and forced to apply for spots that open a year from when you match.

Tough decision for sure. I would be honest with myself about my application, and if you are not in any big hurry the year of research and application improvement may be worth it. Not a very helpful post for sure. Good luck.

go for it.

not saying you shouldnt do research.

but...i think if you do an internship year (you wouldnt be behind a year) and furthemore, if you do your internship year at a place w/ an anesthesiology residency....the PD at your internship may 'highly recommend' you to the PD of anesthesiology. From what I've seen, that's 1000x more effective.

sure no one's going to knock you cuz you did reserach. some very academic places would even like research. BUT...for the most part i've found Anesthesiology PDs like sociable ppl that are recommended by their colleagues.

personally, i'm just not into research, so i'm prolly biased. i wouldnt want to do something i hated for a year, just to mk it look 'good'. Do something that will maximize networking opportunity my friend.

good luck :luck:

This is an older thread but I was just curious as to whether or not anesthesia was a residency where applicants have lots of research experience at the med school level. I have zero interest in research whatsoever, always have, but am also slightly interested in gas as an incoming 1st yr.

crys20 said:
This is an older thread but I was just curious as to whether or not anesthesia was a residency where applicants have lots of research experience at the med school level. I have zero interest in research whatsoever, always have, but am also slightly interested in gas as an incoming 1st yr.

Research is definitely not required. If your app is solid (score, recs etc) then you should be fine.

However, it is a nice way to spuce up your CV for 2 reasons.

1. It shows a genuine interest in the field. Not that there is anything at all wrong with finding out that you want to do anesthesia as a third or fourth year student (most do), I always got comments on the interview trail with my research from my first two years. It just shows that you are not a Johny Come Lately.

2. Getting involved with staff in the anesthesia department in the form of research is going to do nothing but improve your chances at getting a slot in that program or at least a good letter with more than lip service.

Definitely not a requirement, but a nice little jewel to add.