research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dia009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
basically, is research necessary???
basic situation:
i'm a 4th year social science with no pre-med.
i'm currently
1. i started to volunteer at a center at ucla. since it's a small center and a small program of intergrative east and west medicine. the director thinks i'm the future of integrative medicine.. hehe.... i haven't taken chem I yet..
2. i volunteer at a public radio station 2-3 hours a week, little work, can do homework and stuff, so it's no biggie. but it is fantastic fun.
3. i have an internship as a health and food editor at an infant stage Asia oriented magazine.
4. thinking about taking up aerobic stripteasing class
5. oh. and i have a boyfriend.
6. walks some rich people's dog every week.. i guess it's an under the table cash dog walking business.. hehe...
( i have also worked for ESPN xgames in the past.)

this summer, i'm taking summer school.
i'm probally working at a summer camp for severely ill children next summer.

so.. basically.. where the hell am i suppose to stuff a research thing into this unless i throw away my boyfriend. i wouldn't wanna do that.

Members don't see this ad.

Research it seems can help set you apart but its not required by anyone, if your GPA and MCAT are good enough, with volunteering and good LORs youll be just fine without the research, my uGPA was bad, I did research and an MS. Now I have an acceptance, but at the same time, there was a girl in my undergrad class that did really no research at all, had a good GPA and MCAT and went straight into medical school, so its up to you really if you think you need it to cushion your application or not.

No, research isn't necessary unless you're planning to apply for MD/PhD programs. Very few straight MD programs require research, even at schools that are heavy research institutions. So if you aren't interested in research, I would say don't do it. Keep in mind though that there are other kinds of research besides pipetting stuff in a lab. For example, you can do social science research in the area of your major, and that still counts as research. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, research isn't necessary unless you're planning to apply for MD/PhD programs. Very few straight MD programs require research, even at schools that are heavy research institutions. So if you aren't interested in research, I would say don't do it. Keep in mind though that there are other kinds of research besides pipetting stuff in a lab. For example, you can do social science research in the area of your major, and that still counts as research. :)

ohh~~ i did that. social research independent study

4. thinking about taking up aerobic stripteasing class

I hear that in lieu of research experience, some schools are adding stripteases to the interview process. You should have a "leg up" on the competition.

I agree with everyone saying that research is NOT required if you want to do a normal MD program. However, there seems to be a trend in admitting students who have research experience.

The recent MSAR showed the following in terms of admitted students who had research experience:

(1) UCD 85%
(2) UCI 92%
(3) UCLA 90%
(4) UCSD 93%
(5) UCSF 90%

Non-UC med schools in CA such as Stanford and USC were 96% and 81% respectively. Thats a lot IMO. I can't speak for other schools outside of CA though, nor can I really say that UC's prefer students that do research.

The most important question about research would be if a person actually DID REAL research. I have no idea if the MSAR statistics consisted of a survey where a person just checked a yes/no box on doing research as a pre-med. Or is this a university reported feature which filters out the BS research that some students report on their AMCAS and secondaries. Is this because the students are doing more research? Or is it because the UC's prefer students who have research experience? Beats me.

I do know this though. If you do research, its fair game for the adcoms to ask you about it during interview. The truth usually comes out by then if you did worthwhile research or not (or washed glassware). So it behooves you to enjoy what you do...rather than do it to spruce up your application. I really dislike those students who come in for 1-2 quarters just to "get the experience". Silly pre-meds;).

I hear that in lieu of research experience, some schools are adding stripteases to the interview process. You should have a "leg up" on the competition.

Nothing to add, other than gales of laughter :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Does anyone have any advice on getting involved in research as a non-trad? I was asked to do research recently, but not sure if that's going to come to fruition since being non-matriculated puts me in a tricky situation.

:D

I agree with everyone saying that research is NOT required if you want to do a normal MD program. However, there seems to be a trend in admitting students who have research experience.

The recent MSAR showed the following in terms of admitted students who had research experience:

(1) UCD 85%
(2) UCI 92%
(3) UCLA 90%
(4) UCSD 93%
(5) UCSF 90%

Non-UC med schools in CA such as Stanford and USC were 96% and 81% respectively. Thats a lot IMO. I can't speak for other schools outside of CA though, nor can I really say that UC's prefer students that do research.

The most important question about research would be if a person actually DID REAL research. I have no idea if the MSAR statistics consisted of a survey where a person just checked a yes/no box on doing research as a pre-med. Or is this a university reported feature which filters out the BS research that some students report on their AMCAS and secondaries. Is this because the students are doing more research? Or is it because the UC's prefer students who have research experience? Beats me.

I do know this though. If you do research, its fair game for the adcoms to ask you about it during interview. The truth usually comes out by then if you did worthwhile research or not (or washed glassware). So it behooves you to enjoy what you do...rather than do it to spruce up your application. I really dislike those students who come in for 1-2 quarters just to "get the experience". Silly pre-meds;).
The OP wanted to know if research was a requirement. The answer to that question is no. Just because most people have a particular EC doesn't mean it is a requirement, or even that it will improve your chances of being admitted to med school. Most pre-meds are some type of bio majors, but percentage-wise, bio majors aren't the most successful applicants. Why would anyone think it makes sense to do research just to be like everyone else in the applicant pool anyway? My personal opinion is that it is more important to pick one or two ECs that you are really passionate about and devote yourself to those. Those ECs can include research, but there is no reason why they MUST include research. Assuming you meet the stated requirements, getting into med school is not about following a formula. (Give me three parts research experience and ten parts shadowing, plus one dollop of volunteering, and stir well with a high GPA. :p )

I also don't like your attitude about pre-meds in the lab. I understand that it can be annoying when you have to train people who aren't all that interested in science and lab work. I've had my share of those, and it's frustrating sometimes to be spending your time when it doesn't seem appreciated. But at the same time, there are plenty of kids who come in thinking that they don't want to be scientists and wind up falling in love with doing science. I know, because I was one of them. :)