Research-Oriented School Suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundelfingen

Reaction score
Here is my background.

(MCAT 515 with CARS 123 lol, but others are 130/132)
PS: I have tried rehab shadowing, and it is good!
My interests is oncology, especially brain tumor. I also like infectious diseases. I like clinical trials and have a Nobel prize dream. (Just a dream, not real.) I have to talked to those schools with MD/PhD program. Unfortunately, I cannot do it because I already have a PhD.

I have talked to several physicians with the idea that those community-service-oriented schools might not like me because they know I am going to do more research in medical school. Thus those schools with lower stats won't even bother me. Is this true? I am interested to know how to find those potential research-oriented school who could possibly give me a large chance similar to MD/PhD training. The problem is my MCAT and GPA is not that solid to fit those top schools like John Hopkins or UPenn.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in research then applying to research heavy schools will be your best bang for your buck esp with a PhD in hand. I'd say just shoot your shot - worst the top schools can do is reject you. And yes some more service oriented schools may overlook you if your application basically screaming research.

Reactions: 1 user
Because you already have a Ph.D., what do you see as your end-goal if you got an MD? You can still do biomedical research and collaborate with clinicians for various translational research. You also have a network to leverage if you decide to seek research that is related to your chemistry thesis or area. You know who your peers and champions are that you want to work with, so is there a reason why you don't want to just add a postdoc working with them or their networks? In short, why go start at the beginning to become a physician if you have a research-oriented goal, and you have a good foundation to get you there?

Reactions: 1 user
Because you already have a Ph.D., what do you see as your end-goal if you got an MD? You can still do biomedical research and collaborate with clinicians for various translational research. You also have a network to leverage if you decide to seek research that is related to your chemistry thesis or area. You know who your peers and champions are that you want to work with, so is there a reason why you don't want to just add a postdoc working with them or their networks? In short, why go start at the beginning to become a physician if you have a research-oriented goal, and you have a good foundation to get you there?
Yes! This is what I am writing in my personal statement. First, I want to gain hand-on patient-care experience instead of reading data in lab. Second, my medical knowledge is limited, and I want to combine research and clinic into one people. Third, shadowing with my neurosurgeon really inspired me to stand on the front line to save patients. I can choose my patient to accommodate into my clinical trial directly. Because I already know the research area, I can be a physician and partner with those post-doc researchers. Finally, I really like hospital life and I think it’s more interesting to interact with patients.
In a word, I want both, and I can be both. I am not sure these are strong enough to convince the admission committee.