Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbyphan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed a million times. I looked over the FAQ and did a search and couldn't find anything addressing it specifically. What residency programs require research from the residents? I have been sorting through some of the threads and see that Pitt definitely does. There are a few others that seems to highly encourage it. But there is tons of info in all those threads and I'm having trouble actually finding that information about most programs. I looked on SAEM and that info seemed pretty non-specific as well. Thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

All residencies require "scholarly activity", as per the Residency Review Committee (if you're interested, go to www.acgme.org, and go through the trees until you find EM - then you can find the WHOLE THING). What "scholarly activity" means is open to some interpretation - usually it means something publishable, but that also means that the stuff publishes is about 80% useless/garbage. Would journals exist if there weren't residents who needed to publish? Kind of like asking, "would tornadoes exist if there were no trailer parks right in their way?"

A very few residencies don't require a paper, but, on the other end, the more academic places mostly have a bigger deal. Even so, when there's more research, there's more interesting research to which you can frequently attach.

Go to www.saem.org, and peruse the residency catalog. Each program listing will have what is the research requirement. Unfortunately, I don't know of a collated, compact listing, since it's a universal requirement.