Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabrina85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people that are applying this cycle have done research? Dental or otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

How many people that are applying this cycle have done research? Dental or otherwise.

I've done some lab tech'ing my junior year, running protocols and whatnot. Not "real research," because I didn't really get to interpret the data I collected (the perio resident I was working with did). This year, I'm working in a smaller lab, so I will see a lot of my results and get to figure out what they mean. Plus I hope to do an independent study in the Spring. The junior year lab dealt with a toxin that is involved in periodontal disease and this year I am working with a gene that is involved in some cases of oral cancer. Pretty exciting stuff!

I did a couple of research projects, which I found both to be incredibly rewarding.

My senior thesis comprised of looking at a glioblastoma (brain cancer) cell line and exposing it to a protein kinase C inhibitor (staurosporine) to discover how this affects progression throught the cell cycle. I found a previously uncharacterized S-phase delay, and am hoping to publish these results when my research advisor returns from the Czech Republic doing a volunteer semester.

I also did an internship for a summer and worked on moving a transposable element from an intron into an exon of a gene dealing with muscle morphogenesis in drosophila. This also meant staining embryos to look at the phenotypic effects of moving this "piggyback" element.

I have not been published in either project, but hope to be in the first, like I said above. Not meaning to be a thread hijacker, but I love hearing about what others have done. To the OP, were you asking because you have also done undergraduate research. If so, what did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have done research at the dental school at my university. I was never really interested in research until I started working there and got involved with the whole process. And now, I really, honestly love it.

I did two years of research at Los Alamos National Labs for the Department of Defense Bio-Terrorism Division which consisted of a lot of classified experiments dealing with Bacillus Anthracis (anthrax) and Q-fever.

I did two years of research at Los Alamos National Labs for the Department of Defense Bio-Terrorism Division which consisted of a lot of classified experiments dealing with Bacillus Anthracis (anthrax) and Q-fever.

Holy cow! That's enough to make me like research. WOW

I worked in a research lab for 6 months running basic experiments. Again no real "research" was done on my part. I basically made tau protein. But it was cool because it was a lab dealing with Alzheimer's which is really interesting to me. Definitely learned a lot about the disease.