Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinzin2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental school this year and was wondering how important is RESEARCH to my application? Schools i am applying to : CALI SCHOOLS, ARIZONA SCHOOLS, MASSACHUSETTS, AND NEW YORK SCHOOLS.

My DAT
AA: 18 (O: 20, G: 16 :confused:, Bio: 17, R: 18, QR: 21)
TS:18 (O: 20, G: 16 :confused:, Bio: 17)
PAT:21

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.7
UCLA transfer Psychology Major..All Sciences taken at a CC.

How are my chances WITHOUT RESEARCH?

Members don't see this ad.

The low DAT score will hurt you more than research.
Research is not required but I know schools like UCLA/UCSF love research

yea those are the two schools i heard love research. I am not worried about my scores i am planning on retaking it anyways. I dont know what to do about the research part on my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.7
UCLA transfer Psychology Major..All Sciences taken at a CC.

How are my chances WITHOUT RESEARCH?

I'd say having all science classes at CC and only scoring 16/17 on bio/chem is more concerning than not having research. I'd retake DAT, because they'll think you don't have a great science background.

So do you suggest i send in my application as is without the research as early as possible? The sooner the better maybe ill get into the first batch of applications.

So do you suggest i send in my application as is without the research as early as possible? The sooner the better maybe ill get into the first batch of applications.

yeah, at this point, it would be pretty transparent you're doing: starting research a few weeks before you submit your application. Just focus on your strengths, and study that bio and chem pretty hard for your retake.

yea i think im going to submit my app tonight. That was my only concern. Im going to take the dat again and hopefully get 20+ across the board. I just hope the bs research doesnt hurt me so much, cause everything else is above average on my application.

I think there's no point of submitting the apps early because you won't have the research experience in it.
Start research first and put it in the application as ongoing.
Also I would take the DAT before submitting. You want the schools to see the new DAT rather than the old one, right?

You need to do some research plus take higher science courses at UCLA.

Sorta off-topic Q: Does clinical or basic science research look better?

Sorta off-topic Q: Does clinical or basic science research look better?

From what I'm told, it doesn't matter. Looks good if you have a publication or if you have presented at meetings and such (regardless if clinical or benchwork), and it provides something to discuss at your interview.

ZinZin FYI, Massachusetts schools don't accept CC course work! Just giving you a heads up so u don't waste your money

Yeah, you really should check with the individual schools before applying because many will not accept the prereqs done at community college. I know my school for certain does not. As far as research, if you havent done any, I'm sure there are people in d school who have not done it. If you have the opportunity to start it now, I would go ahead and make sure my app says that its in progess....but really concentration on some upper level science courses from a university and getting those DAT scores up.