Researching about vet license

Started by Acezacer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Acezacer

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I currently decided to be a veterinarian, and started wondering what the process is supposed to be like. My general knowledge is currently:

1. Take pre-reqs the vet school wants
2. Gain a lot of hands on experience
3. Then apply (includes recommendations and personal statement)

One huge question I have though, is if I want a license to practice in a particular state (ex: NY), and apply for vet school at a different state (ex: Wisconsin), will I still be able to practice in NY?
 
Hi. I currently decided to be a veterinarian, and started wondering what the process is supposed to be like. My general knowledge is currently:

1. Take pre-reqs the vet school wants
2. Gain a lot of hands on experience
3. Then apply (includes recommendations and personal statement)

One huge question I have though, is if I want a license to practice in a particular state (ex: NY), and apply for vet school at a different state (ex: Wisconsin), will I still be able to practice in NY?
when you go to vet school there are multiple steps to get to licensure:
-graduate with a DVM or equivalent degree
-pass the north american veterinary licensing exam (navle)
-pass state board exam

so in short, yes you can go to another state's school and practice in NY, but you will need a license to practice medicine in NY