Researching Topic Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaySBU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a senior in high school and I am attending Stony Brook University in the fall for pre med. I want to work on a research project throughout my undergraduate years and I am trying to think of possible topics. I know that it will need to be something I am very interested in, but there's a never evading supply of topics. If anyone could give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best option is to browse your faculty's profiles until you find something you like and then send that person an email expressing your interest.

If possible, do some research this summer and you will have a leg up in getting into a lab at SBU. Like the other poster said, browse professors and fine a few that have topics that interest you. Cold email them asking for an appointment in the fall (email them when you start school). Walk in with confidence and knowledge of their topic (consider it an interview) and ask if they have an opening for next semester. If they "might" ask what you can do to prepare! Read papers? Do they have any suggested publications to read? Any topics of interest? And protocols that you should study before staring work?

As for research this summer, look in unexpected places. Local universities will sometimes take free students to do some work. I worke at my local science museum, believe it or not they had a "scientist" who did wet lab basics like classification and specimen study. Anything at all involved in research is great, especially if you can give a presentation or write an abstract. Look for your state science foundation. For me, it was the Virginia Academy of Science or Virginia Junior Academy of Science. They accept abstracts ad you can give a presentation! I think most states have something similar.

Good luck!! Let me know if you ha e questions!!

Good job thinking so far ahead by the way... It will get you far.

Best,
C