Reserves during Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoastieLT

El hombre mas interesante
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here in the active reserve while on Med School?

How does the summer IDT works with the sched? The additional $$$ sounds good, but I just want to be sure that I can fulfill the reserve obligation...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

don't they change your reserve status to student hsps schlorship status? a bunch of people are here on the military schlorship. they do their military training /obligation during summers. they don't have to show up for weekend duty b/c they are students but they do have to take a PT test x1? x2 per yr?

How does the summer IDT works with the sched? The additional $$$ sounds good, but I just want to be sure that I can fulfill the reserve obligation...

Thanks!

You're talking about reserves, not one of the active duty programs (HPSP/USUHS) if I read your post right.

I've been looking into this sort of thing myself, although not in the Army because my own strengths don't tend that way. ANG has a while-in-med-school program, but getting funding & getting accepted to it is an issue. Looks like I won't be able to do it where I'm at. I'm currently in the process of researching the Naval Reserve to see whether they have anything of the sort, but no clear answers yet.

I'm not staying in my current (non-medical-school-related) reserve job because I just don't think I'll have the time. It would be a pity to resign entirely, but I might just have to. If I had a reserve job I thoroughly enjoyed & found relaxing, I might try to blend it with med school anyway, but it might be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

I'm not in med school, but I am in the national guard so maybe I can be of some help.

In the summer it's actually AT and they are very flexible for med students (ie you may not have to go). IDT is the one weekend a month thing and they are usually very flexible with that as well.

You would have to do a 2-week officer basic course to become a commisioned officer. It may be longer if you have no prior military service, but I think it's two weeks.

Basically, if you are in a slot as a med student, medical school is going to be your first priority, just as it is for undergrad ROTC cadets.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

EDIT: I overlooked the fact that you are CG. This is all Army, I'm sure some of it is similar, but it may not be as useful as I thought.

Thanks for the info guys, yes currently AD US Coast Guard - Enlisted for 2, Officer for 7... In order to survive Med School with 2 children and wife I inted to continue drilling as a Reservist at the closest CG unit. As an O-3 I would make about 600-700 per drill weekend plus approx 3K for the 2 weeks ADT in the summer... and the 4.5K a year for TA would be free money as well... all that combined with the GI Bill should at least help me to put some food in my table...

I would like to hear from anyone who is balancing drills, family and school...

Thanks gents!!!

I'd like to bump this thread as drilling as a reservist while attending medical school is something i'm considering.

I've applied for the HPSP, but haven't been selected yet, and my package hasn't gone to board. (getting close)
there is a reserve center close to where i'll be going to school, and i'm wondering if I should keep drilling or trying to while in med school and just see if I get the HPSP and switch over then? or should I go straight into the IRR and try to get into it? any advice would be great.

has anyone done the drilling thing while going to med school and not been on a scholarship/HPSP plan?

thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone has been a reservist while in med school. i'm debating whether to take a bonus and the drill pay for 3 years or just do a clean break from the service. since i've been out of school for a few years, i'm hesitant to put too much on my plate at once, but the additional income would certainly be helpful. any insight would be greatly appreciated.