residencies for peds surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which programs are good for peds training? and fellowship matches?

Members don't see this ad.

There are no "residency" programs in Peds Sx. Peds is a fellowship after you complete a full General Surgery program. There are only 30 programs. All super competetive. 7 YEARS in GS (5 GS + 2 Reaserch) appears to be a must for most, if not all. I would be happy as a pig in **** in any of them.

Hi there,
For pediatric surgery you need a match in a very strong academic residency which includes research. You also need to do especially well on ABSITE during your residency and produce some meaningful research. You also need to have the backing of your pediatric surgery faculty at your institution. Good general surgery residency programs: Duke, Univ of Washington, Hopkins, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wake Forest, Louisville just to name a few.

Also, be sure to apply to every program to insure that you can get a match.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i realize it's a fellowship, but was just chatting with a g surg resident at ucsf who recommended assessing where i might wanna go with a peds fellowship in mind. course i'm looking at the big names, but wanted to know who was peds strong.
correct me if i'm wrong - mgh, upenn, hopkins. he said ucsf. just thought others might know who else had affiliated programs.
thanks.

I don't know for sure b/c I'm not really interested in peds surgery but I imagine if a place has a fellowship that would be a good place to do GS. Good foot in the door and get to know the right folks. Plus you're a known commodity. Good luck

Programs

geekgirl said:
correct me if i'm wrong - mgh, upenn, hopkins. he said ucsf.

Like I said, peds is very very very competetive with only 30 programs each accepting only 1 fellow each year. I second Njbmd's advice that you should try to do your GS residency at one of the 30 institutions that have peds.

-There is only one peds program in CA, and UCSF is not the one.

Good Luck.

My husband is also interested in this field... everyone says it's competitive, but that doesn't have to mean impossible!

I've read Cincinnati, Indiana, Washington U (St. Louis), UCLA, and Columbia are good for matching residents with Peds fellowships (naming some that have not been mentioned previously). Do check out the link posted though- it shows the listing of programs and affiliated universities.

lovemydrhubby said:
My husband is also interested in this field... everyone says it's competitive, but that doesn't have to mean impossible!

I've read Cincinnati, Indiana, Washington U (St. Louis), UCLA, and Columbia are good for matching residents with Peds fellowships (naming some that have not been mentioned previously). Do check out the link posted though- it shows the listing of programs and affiliated universities.

Hi there,
Pediatric Surgery is not impossible but it is competitive. One of my chiefs matched last year(You match in your PGY-4 year) and started fellowship yesterday. He scored nothing less than 99th percentile on ABSITE all seven years; he has more than 20 papers where he is first author and he was one of the best chiefs that I ever encountered. He applied to all 23 programs and interviewed at all 23. He also had the strong backing of our chair of pediatric surgery and every pediatric surgeon at the university.

I have another friend who is a PGY2 who really wants to do Peds Surgery and is working hard on positioning herself to match in this competitive specialty. You need to get things going well for yourself pretty early and matching into a very strong university program is just the first step. Once there, you have to do very well. Track early (make your contacts and get good guidance) and perform well both academically and technically.

nbjmd :)

I've heard Penn State is really good as a general surg residency to prepare you for fellowships. They have a really good track record in the last ten years of matching people into peds surgery fellowships. I think part of this is because they get so much Peds surgery experience during their gen surg residency (I think gen surg only requires two months according to national guidelines, whereas Penn State residents do much more than this). I've also heard that they may be starting their own fellowship in the years to come... don't know if there's any truth to that. Ironically, if that does happen, I imagine the peds surg experience of the general surg residents will suffer.

This is what I've heard, but what do I know, I'm in EM...

Perhaps Dr. Cox has some words on this...

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Pediatric Surgery is not impossible but it is competitive. One of my chiefs matched last year(You match in your PGY-4 year) and started fellowship yesterday. He scored nothing less than 99th percentile on ABSITE all seven years; he has more than 20 papers where he is first author and he was one of the best chiefs that I ever encountered. He applied to all 23 programs and interviewed at all 23. He also had the strong backing of our chair of pediatric surgery and every pediatric surgeon at the university.

I have another friend who is a PGY2 who really wants to do Peds Surgery and is working hard on positioning herself to match in this competitive specialty. You need to get things going well for yourself pretty early and matching into a very strong university program is just the first step. Once there, you have to do very well. Track early (make your contacts and get good guidance) and perform well both academically and technically.

nbjmd :)

So would you say 2 years of research is pretty much the norm for residents wanting a pediatric surgery fellowship?

I think I'm pretty biased, but if he stays on track and continues to excel, he'll do well matching in about 7 years! :laugh:

Thanks for the encouragement and insight!

daveshnave said:
I've heard Penn State is really good as a general surg residency to prepare you for fellowships. They have a really good track record in the last ten years of matching people into peds surgery fellowships. I think part of this is because they get so much Peds surgery experience during their gen surg residency (I think gen surg only requires two months according to national guidelines, whereas Penn State residents do much more than this). I've also heard that they may be starting their own fellowship in the years to come... don't know if there's any truth to that. Ironically, if that does happen, I imagine the peds surg experience of the general surg residents will suffer.

This is what I've heard, but what do I know, I'm in EM...

Perhaps Dr. Cox has some words on this...

Hi there,
Most programs have more than two months of pedicatric surgery. My program has six months of peds surgery at the (PGY -1 and PGY-4). It is not the amount of experience in pediatric surgery but your performance in residency and on ABSITE that counts. You also need to have good contacts in the field and good surgical skills. You also need to have some strong research experience (present at national meetings) in your residency too. Again, folks who match into Peds surgery have been among the top performers in their programs. (The same can be said for Cardiothoracic Surgery too). Track early, get into a very strong academic residency (pediatric surgeons are academic surgeons so coming from a community program will not help you here) and do well.

njbmd :)