Residencies in Puerto Rico???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone has any information on residencies in Puerto Rico. I know that there are three fully accredited (LCME) med schools on the Island with residencies.
Is it worth doing a residency there?
Which residencies do you recomend?

Members don't see this ad.

Would be a fun place to live for a while. Its cheap, has great weather, beautiful women, good surf in the wintertime. Sign me up!

Exactly what i thought :D

To what residency are you applying to?

vanelo said:
To what residency are you applying to?
I was thinking of derm or opthalmology. i understand they have accredited programs there. I also know that their anesthisiology residency lost its accreditation last year but they reapplied and were re-accredited starting June of this year I think.

Dr Who said:
I was thinking of derm or opthalmology. i understand they have accredited programs there. I also know that their anesthisiology residency lost its accreditation last year but they reapplied and were re-accredited starting June of this year I think.

Believe it or not, it's harder to match into either ophth or derm in PR than it is to match in the mainland US since the Program's Directors accept only puertorricans. You can have amazing boards (>250) but if you didn't rotated there and/or there are other PR students they will not even interview you.

Ironic, isn't it?

vanelo said:
Believe it or not, it's harder to match into either ophth or derm in PR than it is to match in the mainland US since the Program's Directors accept only puertorricans. You can have amazing boards (>250) but if you didn't rotated there and/or there are other PR students they will not even interview you.

Ironic, isn't it?
How do you know this? By personal experience?
I called the program offices for the surgery residency today, they were pretty nice to me and told me that anyone could apply through the match. When i asked why they only have PR residents, she told me that although the majority are from PR, there is a significant number of non PR residents. Although they have spanish sounding last names does not necesarlilly make them puertorricans.
She did point out that because the programs are located in the island, they are going to attract an unusual number of spanish speaking applicants and only a small number of native english speakers. I would tend to agree with that logic.