residencies - specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adennis

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw the earlier thread on DO residencies being limited to DOs. What I'm wondering is.. if I decide I want to specialize in something other than Family practice, OB/GYN, Emergency medicine, or Internal medicine, what is the likelihood that I can get a traditionally MD residency? I have heard that this happens, but am really sketchy on the details.

The short of the question is.... is it possible to get a non-DO residency?

Members don't see this ad.

adennis said:
I saw the earlier thread on DO residencies being limited to DOs. What I'm wondering is.. if I decide I want to specialize in something other than Family practice, OB/GYN, Emergency medicine, or Internal medicine, what is the likelihood that I can get a traditionally MD residency? I have heard that this happens, but am really sketchy on the details.

The short of the question is.... is it possible to get a non-DO residency?

I'm assuming you're fairly new to this whole "DO's and MD's living together" thing (reference to Ghostbuster's quote of "Cats and dogs living together"...)

Yes, DO's can do MD residencies. As a matter of fact, most DO graduates participate in allopathic residencies instead of osteopathic residencies.

Do a search on this topic and you'll find tons of information from DO graduates on obtaining an MD residency.

Also, your post seems to imply that DO residencies are only in FP, IM, Ob/Gyn and EM. That's not accurate. There are DO residencies in essentially all medical specialties and most fellowships (for example, you can find DO residencies open to DO graduates only in areas such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, dermatology, anesthesiology, plastic surgery, etc.) There's some debate as to the quality of training of DO residencies compared to MD ones, but I can't comment on that due to lack of exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite my fine advanced-searching skills, I can't seem to find a recent post that contained a link to a detailed review of most specialties. I think the link was to a medical school web site and was posted within the last week. Anyone know what I am talking about? Thanks

Old Man Dave that used to be on SDN and now is on the OPM site for older premeds and meds is a DO in an MD residency other than family practice.

His info is listed below.

David W Kelley, D.O.
""OldManDave""
KCOM, Class of 2003
Dartmouth Anesthesiology Residency Class of 2008

Are DO's at any disadvantage when applying to MD residencies?

But would an MD student with the same scores....etc have an advantage over the DO?

I think MDs have a slight advantage over DOs with the same board scores at some allopathic institutions for residency. Plus we have to take 2 sets of boards when they only have to take 1. Over all though I think its going to come down to your interpersonal skills and how well you interact with others.

Yea, I guess DO's also have the advantage of being able to apply to DO only residencies.

I think that it depends on the residency we're talking about as well. For instance right now derm is one of the toughest residencies to get, so at an allopathic residency program an MD would probably have an advantage over a DO. However, if we're talking about internal medicine, which is an underfilled residency right now, it would be wide open to either MD's or DO's at an allopathic residency.

Also, I agree with te above post that states that most DO's do allopathic residencies due to the fact that there are only enough DO residency spots for about 1/3 of the graduating DO students. Tha leaves 2/3 of us who have no other choice than to do allopathic residencies. Also, a side note that DO's are not really able to use their OMM training in allopathic residencies because there are not DO's as attending physicians to supervise.