Residencies that are worth doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need opinions on which of three residency would be worth doing

1. Low Vision Rehab - gives me the chance to work with older population but not sure what exactly it involves besides recommending different equipment. would it better to do geriatrics instead?

2. Refractive and Ocular Surgery - maybe gives me a chance to work with an OMD and be more a "medical" OD but these opportunities are very few, so not sure if it is worth the investment

3. Vision Therapy - it sounds cool but honestly how many people actually benefit from this

Members don't see this ad.

1. Low Vision Rehab - gives me the chance to work with older population but not sure what exactly it involves besides recommending different equipment. would it better to do geriatrics instead?

2. Refractive and Ocular Surgery - maybe gives me a chance to work with an OMD and be more a "medical" OD but these opportunities are very few, so not sure if it is worth the investment

3. Vision Therapy - it sounds cool but honestly how many people actually benefit from this
Unless you plan on working in a low vision clinic, refractive surgery center, or a vision therapy practice, none of them are really worth doing. In my opinion, the most versatile residency is an ocular disease residency. I may be biased since that's the path I chose, but it is one of the few programs that gives you the tools you will use everyday in private practice.

I know of a few ODs who offer VT, but they have not done a residency in VT. You're right in that its not a highly coveted service, but if you find a niche location, VT is really lucrative.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ranked: 2, 1, 3

'2' allows hospital based positions. 1, 3 are niches (subspecialties)

no,...just my opinion. I had a lot of buddies that did residencies, and I went straight out into a private practice I purchased. I have spoken with all of them, and all of them would have much rather done what I did. Trust me, my first year during the transition buy out of a large successful private practice was every bit (and then some)of a learning experience. Both in terms of clinical and managerial knowledge acquisition.

no,...just my opinion. I had a lot of buddies that did residencies, and I went straight out into a private practice I purchased. I have spoken with all of them, and all of them would have much rather done what I did. Trust me, my first year during the transition buy out of a large successful private practice was every bit (and then some)of a learning experience. Both in terms of clinical and managerial knowledge acquisition.

Holla holla!

I know of a few ODs who offer VT, but they have not done a residency in VT. You're right in that its not a highly coveted service, but if you find a niche location, VT is really lucrative.

Are these your WalMart buddies?