Residencies who like Spanish Speakers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I would find this out other than asking around, but does anybody here have an idea of which Ophthalmology residency programs "like" people who speak Spanish as a second language?

I speak Spanish, and would love to use it when practicing. I figure I could even use it to my advantage when applying to my Ophthalmology residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of one place that would NOT like it. It's a huge advantage no matter where you go. That said, obviously places with a predominantly spanish speaking population would like to see that you are fluent and would not struggle talking to patients. I am in Texas and I can't tell you how useful it has been over the course of my residency.

I don't think it's a make or break though, can't recall an applicant ever being rejected because they couldn't speak the language. Basically, it can only help you if you have it, but won't hurt you if you don't.

just be prepared if you plan on being proud. anything that goes on your app is fair game in an interview. i knew of numerous people that had entire interviews in spanish because it was listed on their application.

other than that i wholeheartedly agree with above. a definite bonus no matter where you end up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how I would find this out other than asking around, but does anybody here have an idea of which Ophthalmology residency programs "like" people who speak Spanish as a second language?

I speak Spanish, and would love to use it when practicing. I figure I could even use it to my advantage when applying to my Ophthalmology residency.

umm every place would love it dude!

but heres the thing, are you FULLY fluent?
like could you do translation?
my sister is fully fluent and its frightening how good she is.... she lived in a spanish speaking country and has had parts of interviews in spanish.

if you aren't fully fluent i wouldn't play it up to much

regardless a decent command will make you really helpful to patients and physicians

just be prepared if you plan on being proud. anything that goes on your app is fair game in an interview. i knew of numerous people that had entire interviews in spanish because it was listed on their application.

other than that i wholeheartedly agree with above. a definite bonus no matter where you end up.

LOLOL! We do that to staff now also! When they say they speak Spanish, we bring in our bilingual tech who goes on a fast rant in Spanish and the applicants' faces are PRICELESS!!! :laugh:

umm every place would love it dude!

but heres the thing, are you FULLY fluent?
like could you do translation?
my sister is fully fluent and its frightening how good she is.... she lived in a spanish speaking country and has had parts of interviews in spanish.

if you aren't fully fluent i wouldn't play it up to much

regardless a decent command will make you really helpful to patients and physicians

I think the "FULLY" fluent aspect of speaking Spanish doesn't mean you should be able to speak at a very high level, but you should at least easily understand what is being said at a normal pace and quickly translate. That is, y o u c a n' t e x p e c t s o m e o n e t o s l o w d o w n in order for you to understand and still consider yourself "fluent."

I worked at a county hospital in San Antonio and much of the population there spoke very basic Spanish due their low level of education (>99%). I quickly learned to tone down my Spanish when appropriate.

I guess my point is that it's a great tool to speak Spanish in a capacity to better serve the patient (getting the info and making them feel at ease). That's my two cents.