Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some one in the Army give me a quick rundown of the residency process. What paperwork, a timeline to do stuff, etc.... that I will need to do this summer. I need a refresher and would like to hear it from someone who has done it if possible.

Incidentally my interests are: OB/GYN, Family Practice, and outside possibilities of ER and PEDS

Members don't see this ad.

shameless bump

I'll do my best to help you out with any specific questions. However, I just don't have the motivation to write an entire essay on the application process. Try checking out the army's GME mods webpage. They have the timeline and some very good fact sheets posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sledge2005 said:
I'll do my best to help you out with any specific questions. However, I just don't have the motivation to write an entire essay on the application process. Try checking out the army's GME mods webpage. They have the timeline and some very good fact sheets posted.

excellent...i will do that and get back to you

Decide which residency you want to perform my Aug and try to have all of your ADT's and interview done by that time.

By Oct 15th,you are required to submit you match list on-line abd rank five places. By mid Dec, you get your results on-line. By mid-Jan, you get your acknowledgment letter and contract and have to sign it and return it.

Sometime in April, don't know when exactly because it hasn't happened for me yet, but at some point in April, you get your official orders.

That's how to sum it up best.

bustbones26 said:
Decide which residency you want to perform my Aug and try to have all of your ADT's and interview done by that time.

By Oct 15th,you are required to submit you match list on-line abd rank five places. By mid Dec, you get your results on-line. By mid-Jan, you get your acknowledgment letter and contract and have to sign it and return it.

Sometime in April, don't know when exactly because it hasn't happened for me yet, but at some point in April, you get your official orders.

That's how to sum it up best.

Sounds good

I have rotations setup in July, September, and October.

I hope to interview at all 3 places for both specialties I am looking at during those months, I suppose I should interview very early in October then...

Anyone have opinions on the following?

OB/GYN at Tripler, Madigan, or Brooke

FP at Darnall, Madigan, or Tripler

Those are the 6 programs I am looking at right now.

texdrake said:
FP at Darnall

a couple of friends of mine are PGY-1's there this year, and another matched there for next year. Darnall is a great residency site, because you are the only training program there-- no one to steal procedures from you. They also have (from what i hear) a nearly brand new hospital. And if it's your cup of tea, there are several connections there for operational medicine stuff-- that's why my two classmates chose it.

For FP, you can't go wrong there. :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood connected caveman

Anybody receive their official army orders yet? I'd like to make moving plans sometime very soon and need orders to do so.