Residency Advice - Angell/UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azawakh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already know that I want to do a residency in small animal internal medicine after veterinary school. I have heard that academic residencies are better and more competitive than non-academic residencies. I like the idea of getting my training at an academic institution so for that reason I am considering UPENN. However, I really like Boston, MA and I have always heard amazing things about Angell Memorial. I guess my question is whether one could get training in a renowned residency like Angell Memorial comparable to that of a great academic residency at UPENN?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it totally depends on what you are looking for and what you like. Having done a private practice internship and specialty internship, I know that many private practices often have a higher caseload and things happen more quickly. There are no students to teach but often little time/limited resources for you to work on furthering your education (ex- writing papers, access to journal articles). I would still do these internships again in a heartbeat. I loved them. Now that I'm in an academic residency, things are very different. Caseload is lower but things go MUCH slower- everything has to go through 3 layers- student, resident, faculty. I'm responsible for working on cases with the students and havng rounds with them every day. However, I am given time to work on my research, have access to an awesome library and know that all my residency requirements will get done. Some people feel that the university setting is made more for teaching while private practices main goal is making money. Sometimes I do agree with that statement....not always.

It looks like you still have some time to make choices though. I would do externships at both places or at least visit. Try to make contact with the current residents and see what they have to say- they will tell you the truth!

Hope this helps a little!

I guess my question is whether one could get training in a renowned residency like Angell Memorial comparable to that of a great academic residency at UPENN?

Yes. Most of the residencies at Angell (also AMC, NY) are comparable to academic residencies.

Thanks for the insight. I really like Angell (location, program, challenge) but I just wonder if I will get enough mentorship. I guess I will have a better idea once I have had a chance to extern at a variety of places and speak to the current interns.