Residency and Fellowship at Same/Different Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

95beretta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on doing fellowship at the same place you did residency? There are clearly positives and negatives on both sides of the argument, but trying to get a feel from those ahead of me (or applying now) how big of a factor going to a different place for fellowship was.

As for me, I love where I'm at for residency and love the Pulm/CC program we have here, but some people (even at the program) have remarked on how important they felt it was to "go to the best program possible" and look at other programs to get a different taste of medicine. At baseline, I tend to be a "fellowship is what you make of it" kind of guy, and don't put a lot of weight into going to a different place for med school/residency/fellowship, but how heavily does it count on your scale?

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on doing fellowship at the same place you did residency? There are clearly positives and negatives on both sides of the argument, but trying to get a feel from those ahead of me (or applying now) how big of a factor going to a different place for fellowship was.

As for me, I love where I'm at for residency and love the Pulm/CC program we have here, but some people (even at the program) have remarked on how important they felt it was to "go to the best program possible" and look at other programs to get a different taste of medicine. At baseline, I tend to be a "fellowship is what you make of it" kind of guy, and don't put a lot of weight into going to a different place for med school/residency/fellowship, but how heavily does it count on your scale?

I think it largely depends on what your goals are:

Private practice - As long as your program has solid clinical training, there's no point in packing up and leaving just for the hell of it.

Academics - diversification of training seems to be encouraged, but not mandatory (especially if you wanted to stay on faculty where you are currently). If an academic career is your goal, places that are stronger in your particular area of interest would be worth considering.

Sounds like you like where you are. I don't see anything wrong with that. You at least owe yourself the opportunity to check out other places, but if you still feel the same way after interviews, you should stay.