Residency and future job outlook for DO's question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmenow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is an international doctor and he is applying for residecncies and i dunno what he has to go through here and all to get certified and stuff

but when i talked to him about applying to DO schools he was negative about it and telling me no no go for the MD, you will get a better shot at residencies then!

i dunno im assuming his perspective is different since he is an international student, but he said oh im feeling like a second option all the time because of my situation, trust me, you will feel the same way if you do osteopathic schools etc etc

so just what is the outlook and statistics of those in osteopathic schools, like why does one chose to do an MD residency or a DO residency? and what are the options in that and how far can one go in that? is it worth it?

Also, he said MD residencys majority of them happen at teaching schools, schools that have research and medical school and hospital all in one and he said thats better, and DO's would end up at just community hospitals, is this good bad any comments?

and what are the prospects for DO's and research? do they do it? do they care? i did read somwhere more DO schools are getting involved in research etc, any info on that? he said oh u wont be able to get into research later if you wanted to if you become a DO

and then he said DO's wont be able to work in big hospitals, they will just end up at small community ones, not like medical schools or teaching hospitals etc like MD's can, true false?

basically i strongly consider DO school because i am sincerely interested in it, was ever since i heard of it, i was very open to it, so im set about it, just these questions i still would like to be cleared up.....

so basically, why MD or DO residency? research and DO? and where do DO's work usually? and anything u think can be cleared up from waht i wrote above

thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

When was the last time you saw a DO standing on a street corner holding a cardboard sign saying "Will do OMM for food?" or "Help, I have 3 kids, a wife, and $180k loan to pay off. Need work"

Seriously, you ask good questions but they are questions that have been tackled probably once a week. You don't even have to do a search but read through the threads from the past few weeks - they will certainly answer most of your questions/concerns.

MD residency is certainly an option for you as a DO. Depending on the field, it might be receptive or prohibitively hard. But again, look at previous threads where multiple people have posted long and comprehensive posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that knows someone that once told him that unless you go to Harvard for med school you'll end up in family practice in the middle of nowhere in a two bed hospital that's not funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.