Residency and step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone have any data on the scores you need for certain residencies?

What scores will get you a competitive (eg, plastics, ophto, ent) residency at an average program?

What scores will get you a less competitive residency (eg, int med) at the top programs in the country?

Does step 1 have any bearing on your chances of getting a competitve fellowship (eg, cardio, gi)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I came across this today. It's a little old, but it compares the scores of Derm residency applicants...Maybe the most competitive speciality. http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/editorial/residency/wu2.html. I also read that about 50% of derm applicants didn't get their 1st or 2nd choice in 2003. That pretty tough, but most specialities aren't like that. I also read that for the top IM programs the average was around a 240. Keep in mind too, residency programs want people that they can work with for the next 3-5 years, so work ethic and interpersonal skills will go along way. I don't think they want jerks with 260s, you know? Hope this helps.

Step 1 is a very important exam no matter what field of medicine you want to go into or how competitive that field is or isn't. The exam probably counts much much more than it should, but many residency program directors feel that it is the only national "standardized" tool they have to compare applicants from different medical schools. While Step 1 is by no means the only thing people look at on a residency application (extracurriculars go a very long way), doing well on the exam only opens doors for you, and doing poorly may prohibit you from going into to the most competitive fields. 93% of people pass the exam on their first attempt, which means that a few people will fail the exam... it's not the end of the world. But if you stumble on the exam and want to go into a competitive field, it is important to be well rounded and have an area (volunteer, class rank, research, leadership, etc...) that compensates. While there certaintly is no magic number, to be a candidate for almost any field, above 230 should suffice... of course for the most competitive fields (ie. optho) the higher the better, but a 230 supplemented by a strong personal statement, letters, applicaton, ect. should be just fine. Of course, for most primary care fields, near national average (215ish) will be just fine (even at top programs provided your application is well-rounded).

While occasionally some really top programs in the most competitive fields use Step 1 as a screen (ie. a certain radiology program may only review applications of students with > 225), Step 1 is only a PART of your application. Programs also review your Dean's Letter (aka. MSPE), application (pretty much your resume -- work, awards, extracurriculars, research), personal statement, clerkship evals, letters of recommendation, and step 2 score; not to mention how important the interview is! I know some people that rocked Step 1, but had no other substance (no extracurricular involvement, no leadership activities...) to their application and therefore were not getting many interview offers.

Somewhere along the way, you have to ask yourself: Do you really want to go to a program that sees you only as a step 1 score that reflects one day out of your entire medical school career?? I certaintly didn't when I was applying last year.

In general, residency program directors value Step 2 MUCH more than Step 1 because, let's face it, how you do on Step 2 correlates with how strong your clinical knowledge base is while how well you on Step 1 simply correlates with how well you know the Krebs cycle (and in residency no one cares about that). The reason that Step 1 is such a big deal though is that very few people have a Step 2 score available by the time they apply to residency, and therefore Step 1 is the only standardized measuring stick these programs have to compare applicants.

Fellowship applications are variable.... some (very few) don't ask your Step scores at all while others want everything and the kitchen sink -- SAT (no joke), MCAT, Steps I - III, and residency in-training exam scores. Most do see all your Steps, with Step 3 counting more than Step 2 counting a lot more than Step 1.

I hope that this helps relieve any anxiety you may be having. Remember that there are always expections.... someone from my class failed Step 1 twice (thus had to sit out a year) and still matched in a good optho program whereas someone at the top of the class didn't match.

The bottom line is that there is no magic number. If you didn't do so hot on Step 1 though, and you want a strong residency program, then you better have something else in your application to compensate (and maybe even use part of your personal statement to explain why you did poorly). If you did great on Step 1, then it'll compensate for an area you may be weak in on your application (ie. leadership/extracurriculars or research) or enhance an excellent application).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the info I get is from discussion boards, but it seems that you need about 220 to be competitive for ANY ortho spot, but over 230 is more reasonable. Anything over 230 into the 250s will make you very competitive. This is second-hand, but hope it helps!

daisygirl said:
http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/byspec.html

Take a look at this website- it is pretty good. Another SDNer had provided this link on a thread (don't remember who though). I know nothing regarding step one numbers, but it seems that the higher the rate of those unmatched, the more competitve the specialty is.

I was looking at that site's data for match rates. According to that data, only 51% of US Seniors matched at all in Derm (out of those applying for derm)!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure that's correct. Out of ALL the other specialties (uro, ortho, ophtho, neurosurg etc.) the next lowest match rate was in the low 80s!! And that 51% was supposedly down from something in the 70s in 2002. Did derm really become almost twice as competitive as any other field in the course of a year?