Residency App Photo: Scrub/white coat vs suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffywannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic is discussed in the premed forums a lot but I feel it is a little different now that we have real reasons to be wearing scrubs.

I am applying to Emergency Medicine where scrubs are worn every day. For my professionally taken photo should I wear: my nice fitting, good looking with my skin tone, scrubs with my white coat and maybe stethoscope or my suit?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if they're both fine options, but I don't think you can really ever go wrong with a nice suit

I know this topic is discussed in the premed forums a lot but I feel it is a little different now that we have real reasons to be wearing scrubs.

I am applying to Emergency Medicine where scrubs are worn every day. For my professionally taken photo should I wear: my nice fitting, good looking with my skin tone, scrubs with my white coat and maybe stethoscope or my suit?

As in your other thread, the answer is...yes, suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is ALWAYS suit, it is ALWAYS better to be overdressed. Yes, in EM you tend to see the docs in scrubs but if you see them going to any type of administrative/business meeting you can bet they will be wearing a suit!

Survivor DO

Reactions: 1 user
when making the ROL my program gives applicants short nicknames to help us remember them..

if you wear scrubs/whitecoat/stethoscope in your ERAS picture your nickname will be, "the girl who wore scrubs for her residency picture".

just fyi. i'm in EM btw.

????? :confused:

There seems to be a LOT of bowtie hate in medicine. What's the deal? I admit I thought it was a little quirky when I first moved to the South but why is there so much vitriol for a style of tie less likely to spread MRSA around??

Idk. Same vague feeling for loafers without socks, shorts, and pink shirt combination. Just hate a preppy insulated environment where signifiers are soft and pretentious. I come from where people would eat your lunch and beat your @ss if you look like that. Since laws of the jungle are often suspended in environments like ours looking weak, soft, and preppy becomes fashion.

I want to punch all of them. And would most certainly wear scrubs before a bowtie. On principle of vague hatred more than any idea of myself as fashion consultant.

Idk. Same vague feeling for loafers without socks, shorts, and pink shirt combination. Just hate a preppy insulated environment where signifiers are soft and pretentious. I come from where people would eat your lunch and beat your @ss if you look like that. Since laws of the jungle are often suspended in environments like ours looking weak, soft, and preppy becomes fashion.

I want to punch all of them. And would most certainly wear scrubs before a bowtie. On principle of vague hatred more than any idea of myself as fashion consultant.

I wear a bow tie, and I wear it proudly. It is the sign of the alpha male in medicine.

when making the ROL my program gives applicants short nicknames to help us remember them..

if you wear scrubs/whitecoat/stethoscope in your ERAS picture your nickname will be, "the girl who wore scrubs for her residency picture".

just fyi. i'm in EM btw.

Agree...there's the possibility you will likely get destroyed in the rank meeting. This whole "wear what you want" business is nonsense. Also, to the bow-tie wearer, if someone in the rank meeting thinks you're a pretentious tool, especially if all we have to go on is your interview day, you'll likely be downranked. I'm not at all joking. It can get petty.

Cool, thanks guys, I'll wear my suit. I only wonder what other nickname they will come up for me... :/ haha

The Doctor wears a bow tie and says that bow ties are cool. Therefore, bow ties are cool.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree...there's the possibility you will likely get destroyed in the rank meeting. This whole "wear what you want" business is nonsense. Also, to the bow-tie wearer, if someone in the rank meeting thinks you're a pretentious tool, especially if all we have to go on is your interview day, you'll likely be downranked. I'm not at all joking. It can get petty.

I was referring to wearing bow ties in general. I agree that for the purpose of an interview or photo it is always best to be conservative about dress and appearance.

I was referring to wearing bow ties in general. I agree that for the purpose of an interview or photo it is always best to be conservative about dress and appearance.

Bowties, in general, are terrible looking.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is true...your dress should be conservative always. You want to stand out with your application and what you say and how you carry yourself, not with how you dressed up for your interview or how you look in your interview picture.

I've seen thank you cards with glamor type pictures attached to them (I assume so they think that they can remember your face) - immediately down-ranked.

And I've seen ERAS application pictures with a female applicant showing a little too much cleavage. She was known as the girl showing off her boobs in the rank meeting. And this was a plastic surgery rank meeting, and this did not go well for that applicant.

Everyone who wears a bow-tie thinks they look good one.
If you're not wearing a tuxedo (or in pediatrics) don't wear a bow tie. Don't do it.

9SvRg3c.jpg

the only man that looks good in a bow tie

This is true...your dress should be conservative always. You want to stand out with your application and what you say and how you carry yourself, not with how you dressed up for your interview or how you look in your interview picture.

I've seen thank you cards with glamor type pictures attached to them (I assume so they think that they can remember your face) - immediately down-ranked.

And I've seen ERAS application pictures with a female applicant showing a little too much cleavage. She was known as the girl showing off her boobs in the rank meeting. And this was a plastic surgery rank meeting, and this did not go well for that applicant.

But what if her personal statement talked about how she got her breasts done when she was in college, and that was what fueled her to go into plastics? Has to be some silver lining there, right?

But what if her personal statement talked about how she got her breasts done when she was in college, and that was what fueled her to go into plastics? Has to be some silver lining there, right?

That would probably buy points for honesty in my book but the usual applicant we get is I want to help little disfigured kids and burn victims be normal again that's why I want to stay in academics and be a reconstructive surgeon.

But I thought that you couldn't break into the aesthetic surgery market without years or decades of experience? If a patient has to pay out of pocket for a procedure, they'll pick the best doctor money can buy, not some rambo right out of residency, right?

But I thought that you couldn't break into the aesthetic surgery market without years or decades of experience? If a patient has to pay out of pocket for a procedure, they'll pick the best doctor money can buy, not some rambo right out of residency, right?

What if you offer, buy one get the other 50% off deals?

Scrubs, overalls, jump suit, whatever. Just don't wear a f'n bow tie. If you're peddling the words of Farrakhan and friends and you're trying to communicate a regressive militant conservatism then fine. But otherwise you like someone who likes dicks in your @ss. Again...if your looking for those cues, fine.

Lol it's just too easy.

????? :confused:

There seems to be a LOT of bowtie hate in medicine. What's the deal? I admit I thought it was a little quirky when I first moved to the South but why is there so much vitriol for a style of tie less likely to spread MRSA around??

This is why ascots were invented. They make em' for the ladies too.

:mad:

Shoot I know this is an old thread but our school took our pics before boards and I did not have my suit jacket since I did not want to wear it in the scorching. Arizona heat. Is it terrible to just have shirt and tie ? Should I do. Retake?

Shoot I know this is an old thread but our school took our pics before boards and I did not have my suit jacket since I did not want to wear it in the scorching. Arizona heat. Is it terrible to just have shirt and tie ? Should I do. Retake?

I would. Just think of if a residency program throws up pictures of 200 interviewees on the screen, and of the 200 there's 1 slutty applicant, 1 wearing a neon green suit, and 1 wearing no suit jacket at all; the rest are all in suits. You don't want to be one of the ones that stands out when just about everyone else is meeting a certain professional standard.

And - this is not to pile on you, but more of a generic comment - I've seen 2-3 comments recently about people in warmer states not wanting to wear suit jackets at certain times, including interviews. Weather does not preclude a person from professionalism. Unless your school does photo shoots in the actual desert, always meet the professional standard.

I would. Just think of if a residency program throws up pictures of 200 interviewees on the screen, and of the 200 there's 1 slutty applicant, 1 wearing a neon green suit, and 1 wearing no suit jacket at all; the rest are all in suits. You don't want to be one of the ones that stands out when just about everyone else is meeting a certain professional standard.

And - this is not to pile on you, but more of a generic comment - I've seen 2-3 comments recently about people in warmer states not wanting to wear suit jackets at certain times, including interviews. Weather does not preclude a person from professionalism. Unless your school does photo shoots in the actual desert, always meet the professional standard.

thanks, I know I'll try and go to Olan Mills and take another pic or walmart

Despite my usually conservative advice in the fashion threads, I think this is likely way overthinking it.

If you have a professional(ish) photo from your school and you are wearing a shirt and tie, that will look fine.

The only time people get hurt by the photo thing is if they like reuse a Facebook photo or something (or take a photo in scrubs with their stethoscope around their neck ala the OP).

My only caution about the school photo is to make sure it is of adequate size/quality to be blown up (i.e. not an ID photo) - since it will often either get printed in fullscreen or put up on a projector.

The Doctor wears a bow tie and says that bow ties are cool. Therefore, bow ties are cool.

At our local VA, we have Bowtie Fridays. If you're not wearing a bowtie, you are the odd one out. Unless you're one of those alpha senior attendings who gives zero ****s.

The bow tie, is the neckbeard fedora of medicine.

I just went with a white shirt and conservative tie.

My shoulders are pretty broad from working out. A suit would have looked odd without spending a ton of money, time finding the right angle, lighting, color, etc... for it to look normal.

You guys are over thinking this.

Suit/shirt tie/white coat…it doesn't really matter. Agree with southernIM that wearing scrubs signals DB, even in surgery.

Just make sure its not some social picture with your SO/brah etc cut off (but we can still see part of their arm or hair in the picture) and that you are identifiable. We scan the pics and then put them up on a screen when we do rankings.

Fun will be had if you send us something ridiculous.

The bow tie is a pretty good signifier that you don't give a **** what other people think. Because when you wear it, you know half the people that see you with it will be thinking exactly what you just said. What more manly of a statement is there than, "yeah, I know you probably hate what I'm wearing right now and I don't give a damn because I like it."
haters.jpg

Personally I'd never wear a bow tie because they generally look terrible with beards.