Video shows medical students walking out of their white-coat ceremony before an anti-abortion professor made the keynote speech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dial1010usa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Impressive display of bravery from the students who stayed and listened. Bravo.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
People are allowed to have different views. Unless this person was talking about abortion at the white coat ceremony (which would be really weird), walking out on her speech is basically just an effort at cancel culture.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People are allowed to have different views. Unless this person was talking about abortion at the white coat ceremony (which would be really weird), walking out on her speech is basically just an effort at cancel culture.

Cancel culture would be if those med students prevented her from taking the stage or started harassing her. They simply walked out. That's not cancel culture to me.

She was invited to speak and therefore she has a right to speak. Fine.
But the students also have a right to not have to listen.

Reactions: 30 users
Cancel culture would be if those med students prevented her from taking the stage or started harassing her. They simply walked out. That's not cancel culture to me.

If one’s response is to ostracize those who disagree with them instead of engaging with them, that is cancel culture to me. The spirit of that action is a pernicious closed-mindedness. Cancel culture is not about a violation of anybody’s technical rights, it is about an attitude of marginalizing rather than engaging with those with different views.

So what, if some physician previously endorsed an opinion about the Iraq War with which some students disagreed, it would be appropriate for the students to refuse to attend any of his lectures or listen to him talk about other topics?

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 11 users
If one’s response is to ostracize those who disagree with them instead of engaging with them, that is cancel culture to me. The spirit of that action is a pernicious closed-mindedness. Cancel culture is not about a violation of anybody’s technical rights, it is about an attitude of marginalizing rather than engaging with those with different views.

So what, if some physician previously endorsed an opinion about the Iraq War with which some students disagreed, it would be appropriate for the students to refuse to attend any of his lectures or listen to him talk about other topics?
People also have the right to protest. I don't see anything cancel-culture about this, especially given the current geopolitical climate. Plus, how do you suggest medical students engaging with the keynote speaker? Students as individuals cannot speak up due to the power dynamic (and just starting medical school) but I applaud the class for doing it as a collective action.

Honestly blows my mind a school like UMich would invite this speaker. Imagine joining medicine and having a speaker at your white-coat ceremony with beliefs that go against the exact principles of the profession. A speaker who calls abortion "an act of violence against my prenatal sisters."

Reactions: 21 users
Honestly blows my mind a school like UMich would invite this speaker. Imagine joining medicine and having a speaker at your white-coat ceremony with beliefs that go against the exact principles of the profession. A speaker who calls abortion "an act of violence against my prenatal sisters."

It hardly goes against the principles of the profession. The Hippocratic Oath itself covers this issue, stating “Neither will I administer a poison to anybody when asked to do so, nor will I suggest such a course. Similarly I will not give to a woman a pessary to cause abortion.” Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973. Before that and for much of human history, doctors often held negative views toward abortion. I say this as someone who generally believes abortion should be safe and legal. It may be that safe, legal abortion is the better policy decision, but to say that being against abortion is antithetical to the principles of the medical profession is absurd.

I suggest that new medical students open their minds to people more experienced than themselves and people with different views than themselves rather than assuming they know everything and acting on an impulse to protest everything. What exactly has the average first year medical student accomplished that gives them the station from which to credibly go about directing public policy? They should actually learn something about medicine before deciding that certain physicians simply shouldn’t be listened to.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 13 users
Personally I found it very optimistic on many levels. I admire the students who walked out in protest. I admire those who stayed to listen rather than trying to follow the herd. And I admire Michigan for letting her speak and not kowtowing to the mob.

It’s about time we started engaging with difficult topics and with people who see the world differently. People who disagree with us are not going to be silent or leave the country, so we better start learning to coexist again. Since most universities have been big weenies about this stuff, I think this event was the best possible outcome in our current climate of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Maybe one day we can ultimately get back to actual discourse.

• Dislike
Reactions: 14 users
Meh... they did what they thought was right...

That's kinda what medicine is all about...

The definition of "what is right" is the most tricky part of... and part of medicine is trying to convince the public to get on the same game plan.

I've tried with pediatric vaccines... but I've been beaten down by "freedom". But I applaud the more optimistic...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The speaker Dr. Kristin Collier is the Director of the University of Michigan Medical School Program on Health Spirituality & Religion. She has used Christian rhetoric to crusade against abortion. I understand that spirituality is important for many patients but I also see that people may have issues with UMich, a public institution, visibly promoting someone who upholds such principles over evidence-based medicine.

I'd walk out if I was there. I do not disrespect Dr. Collier as a human being or professional. I'm sure she is a wonderful doctor to many patients. I'd listen to her if she was my instructor. I just wouldn't be interested in staying for a speech that marks my symbolic entrance into the medical profession that is delivered by her.

Reactions: 12 users
I do not disrespect Dr. Collier as a human being or professional.
Except that the message of walking out while someone is giving a speech at a professional engagement is contrary to what you say. Walking out is disrespectful. Even if you say it is a form a protest, what is being protested is her personal character or her professional opinions.

I’m sorry, but being a physician means being able to respect and listen to people even when you disagree with them. Furthermore, medicine is fundamentally not about the doctor, but about the patients. If you want to go picket in the Capitol on your free time, go ahead, but when you’re learning or practicing medicine, your job is to listen to everybody you can, learn as much as you possibly can, and treat patients the best you possibly can.

• Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And students have the right as individuals to protest so. We might not have as much professional experience as you, but we have just as much free will.

I never said they don’t have the right. I actually said the opposite: “Cancel culture is not about a violation of anybody’s technical rights, it is about an attitude of marginalizing rather than engaging with those with different views.”

Just because you have the right to do something doesn’t mean you should. This is a very immature way of looking at the world where one thinks that every person or thing they disagree with warrants a demonstration. I think that being closed to alternative viewpoints is unbecoming of a physician. If you want to be a partisan hack who ignores the other side and yells at them from the other side of a picket line, you should go become a politician rather than a doctor.

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
I never said they don’t have the right. I actually said the opposite: “Cancel culture is not about a violation of anybody’s technical rights, it is about an attitude of marginalizing rather than engaging with those with different views.”

Just because you have the right to do something doesn’t mean you should. This is a very immature way of looking at the world where one thinks that every person or thing they disagree with warrants a demonstration. I think that being closed to alternative viewpoints is unbecoming of a physician. If you want to be a partisan hack who ignores the other side and yells at them from the other side of a picket line, you should go become a politician rather than a doctor.
How exactly are students supposed to engage with this speaker of different views during this White Coat Ceremony speech? This is a White Coat Ceremony, not a Medical Humanities course.

Reactions: 10 users
How exactly are students supposed to engage with this speaker of different views during this White Coat Ceremony speech? This is a White Coat Ceremony, not a Medical Humanities course.
By listening to them and considering their perspective and point of view. You know, the classic definition of “engagement” . . .

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
By listening to them and considering their perspective and point of view. You know, the classic definition of “engagement” . . .
I don't think it would be fair to say students are unaware of the speaker's perspectives and point of view. Again, Dr. Collier is outspoken on social media and multiple faucets. Just because the students refuse to listen on this occasion does not mean this decision did not come after "engaging" with her words.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think it would be fair to say students are unaware of the speaker's perspectives and point of view. Again, Dr. Collier is outspoken on social media and multiple faucets. Just because the students refuse to listen on this occasion does not mean this decision did not come after "engaging" with her words.

So do you believe that if someone has a political view you disagree with, they have nothing to say that would be worth listening to?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
They don’t necessarily have to engage them in that very moment either. World can do with a little more delayed gratification.

Listen, learn, reflect, email afterwards to set up a time to talk like adults.

Unless we’re saying it’s now cool to then walk away from peers we disagree with? Is it then okay to walk away from our patients we disagree with?

I respect and will fight for anyones right to protest and hold the value of free speech very near and dear to my heart. But the students do an absolute disservice to their cause by refusing to engage with someone who sees the world differently than they do, and actively petitioned to take away their right to speak at all.

• Dislike
So do you believe that if someone has a political view you disagree with, they have nothing to say that would be worth listening to?
I never said that. I believe there needs to be discourse. I would, however, say that I have a choice as to when I can respectfully decline to listen to them. They are allowed to speak all they want to all those who listen, but I am not forced to listen to what everybody has to say all the time if I don't want to.
The White Coat Ceremony is a special occasion for students and families. I know it was for me, and I would not want to listen to the speaker on this occasion.
Again, this is a White Coat Ceremony. This event is not about the med school or the speaker or the oh my gosh holy profession of medicine that demands professionalism. It is about celebrating medical students and their families for achieving their dreams. Some of these students and families did not appreciate the event for the speaker selection. So they walked out. They didn't disturb anybody. Speaker was allowed to speak. Completely fair.

Last edited:
yes im not a huge fan of white coat ceremonies. Seem overly theatric imo

But the students do an absolute disservice to their cause by refusing to engage with someone who sees the world differently than they do, and actively petitioned to take away their right to speak at all.
I’d argue that they do a great service to their cause by showing they care about their patents’ right to bodily anatomy, which the speaker has previously denounced on religious principles. Upholding patients’ choices is the exact opposite of walking away from patients who disagree with you.

And they were petitioning her to not speak at THEIR OWN ceremony. It’s not like they were trying to stop her from speaking at a conference or something. Your freedom of speech does not include forcing other people to listen to you.

• Dislike

I mean, they did start a petition asking the school to uninvite her from speaking in the first place...

It sounds like there were both graduating and new medical students in the audience? I would love to know the approximate breakdown of graduate to new medical students that walked out. Listening to the remarks up to her speech (which the bit about being a machine is actually pretty good) it sounds like she was chosen by the students and faculty of the gold humanism society and it's very popular among medical students.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe this debate has turned into "should the students have engaged in her view" as if the view itself isn't hateful. Being pro-forced birth is a hateful viewpoint because of the impact on the pregnant woman. Bodily autonomy is a right and I make no apologies for my right to leave a speech (any speech) by anyone fighting against it. Add to that putting religion above science at a medical school and I see very well why the students walked out. And I support them.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 15 users
Newly minted medical students at a white coat ceremony displayed disrespect for their fellow classmates, family, faculty and the speaker, all because they disagreed with the personal views of the speaker, that is not bravery. They ruined the ceremony for the rest of the students and families. Regardless of whether you are for or against abortion, there needs to be a sense of tolerance for other views, period!

There will always be a place and time to express your views and that was not the time nor the place.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Personally I found it very optimistic on many levels. I admire the students who walked out in protest. I admire those who stayed to listen rather than trying to follow the herd. And I admire Michigan for letting her speak and not kowtowing to the mob.

It’s about time we started engaging with difficult topics and with people who see the world differently. People who disagree with us are not going to be silent or leave the country, so we better start learning to coexist again. Since most universities have been big weenies about this stuff, I think this event was the best possible outcome in our current climate of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Maybe one day we can ultimately get back to actual discourse.
I agree, however, I do not feel we will ever get back to actual discourse because there are too many extremists on both sides that will not open up their minds. They have zero respect for opposing opinions no matter what the subject is.

Last edited:
I mean, they did start a petition asking the school to uninvite her from speaking in the first place...
So, the ones that started a petition should overrule everyone else, why?

I can't believe this debate has turned into "should the students have engaged in her view" as if the view itself isn't hateful. Being pro-forced birth is a hateful viewpoint because of the impact on the pregnant woman. Bodily autonomy is a right and I make no apologies for my right to leave a speech (any speech) by anyone fighting against it. Add to that putting religion above science at a medical school and I see very well why the students walked out. And I support them.
Hateful viewpoint, really, according to you. Again, you showed zero tolerance for opposing views, just by saying that those views are HATEFUL. Should anti-abortionists say that those who perform abortions are committing murder...again, trying to make a point that these extreme views on both sides need to stop.

Honestly blows my mind a school like UMich would invite this speaker.
Precisely. I'd be fascinated to learn how this decision was made. Like graduation, white coat is a feel good ceremony that should be devoid of any conflict or controversy. Save the hard stuff for the actual curriculum.

It's fascinating watching part of this community somehow rationalize this behavior as a "right", when anybody with any sense of honesty would admit that a bunch of conservative students walking out on a speaker who may be pro-choice, pro gun-control etc. would be totally different. I assure you we would not hear neutral calls for tolerance and that they have the "right" to behave this way - (btw, I would think them walking out is just as immature and ignorant).

Furthermore, half the people in this sub beg the question when they try to rationalize their reaction. "Why is what the students did okay"? "Well because the speaker's view is hateful and anti-medicine". Sorry for the newsflash, although I am not endorsing this view per se, I could say that the pro-choice position is hateful insofar as it denies the right to life to a class of human beings. You may disagree with this characterization, but again this is a different question altogether that this sub (and other areas on Twitter), seem to take as "settled". Unlike what this sub may think, there is a reason that this issue remains universally controversial, and public opinion is generally in favor of some restrictions on abortion unlike what it seems here.

Lastly, someone above said that the speaker put "religion above science", this is just manifestly wrong and unfortunately reveals a lack of interest in the subject itself.

• Dislike

Do you think the anti-vaccine COVID deniers deserve a platform then? The principles are really pretty similar.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Do you think the anti-vaccine COVID deniers deserve a platform then? The principles are really pretty similar.
I don’t think the principles are similar. COVID deniers are rejecting facts about reality. People who are anti-abortion have a different perspective on a complicated bioethical topic. The view that life begins to deserve independent consideration at some point before birth or even before viability is a perfectly legitimate one. Only in this crazy groupthink bubble would someone think that it isn’t.

• Dislike
I don’t think the principles are similar. COVID deniers are rejecting facts about reality. People who are anti-abortion have a different perspective on a complicated bioethical topic. The view that life begins to deserve independent consideration at some point before birth or even before viability is a perfectly legitimate one. Only in this crazy groupthink bubble would someone think that it isn’t.
This is obviously correct, but remember when you live in a milieu where you can just thoughtlessly retort "anti-science", "anti-medicine" to anything you disagree with and walk out of venues with disdain to the praise of your peers, you tend to not develop the sharpest reasoning faculties.

• Dislike
So, the ones that started a petition should overrule everyone else, why?
I was refuting the idea that the students involved weren't trying to cancel the speaker. They clearly were.

I have not voiced on opinion on the matter as a whole.

Agree, the entire thing was a charade. There's a time and a place for that kind of speaker and this clearly wasn't it. UMich put everyone in a bad position.

I'm assuming the speaker isn't so resolute in her beliefs that she didn't feel embarrassment and the indignity of the walkout.

UMich sandbagged their speaker, their students and the families gathered. IMHO the worst looking group in this charade is U Mich itself.

Even if you agree with the speakers point of view, maybe you don't want it to be a talking point every minute of the day. I'm sure gun rights advocates don't go out of their way to talk about it at kindergarten graduations or sweet sixteen parties.

Agree, the entire thing was a charade. There's a time and a place for that kind of speaker and this clearly wasn't it. UMich put everyone in a bad position.

I'm assuming the speaker isn't so resolute in her beliefs that she didn't feel embarrassment and the indignity of the walkout.

UMich sandbagged their speaker, their students and the families gathered. IMHO the worst looking group in this charade is U Mich itself.

Even if you agree with the speakers point of view, maybe you don't want it to be a talking point every minute of the day. I'm sure gun rights advocates don't go out of their way to talk about it at kindergarten graduations or sweet sixteen parties.

Was there mention about the speaker actually talking about abortion during the speech? My understanding was that the students tried to have her speech cancelled and then walked out because of views on abortion that she expressed in the past, not views that she expressed during the speech.

Was there mention about the speaker actually talking about abortion during the speech? My understanding was that the students tried to have her speech cancelled and then walked out because of views on abortion that she expressed in the past, not views that she expressed during the speech.

Honestly, dunno. Didn't see the video of the speech.

My point was that there is a time and a place for a controversial speaker, that was not one of them.

My point was that there is a time and a place for a controversial speaker, that was not one of them.
So anyone who holds a public view on anything political is controversial? Do you think if this speaker was publicly pro choice that it would be controversial as well?

It is no more controversial than being pro-choice.

• Dislike

Her speech was not about abortion, and even if it was, approximately 50% of the country agrees with her pro-life stance.

• Dislike
At my school, the white coat keynote speaker was actually chosen by the students. I suspect this speaker was as well because Twitter isn’t the real world and she’s probably a very beloved faculty member. My Whitecoat speaker was also openly pro-life and also beloved by students, even those of us who disagreed with him on that issue. Much like this woman, he wasn’t speaking on the controversial topic, just a person who saw the world through a different lens but still had some valuable wisdom to impart.

Personally I don’t demand ideological purity from anyone. I’m of a slightly older generation that can still tolerate having two thoughts in my head at the same time. I’d have stayed and listened to what was actually a beautiful speech, and probably enjoyed it more once the children had left the room.

• Dislike
  • Love
Medical professionals are held to a higher standard in the world, undoubtedly because we must form close bonds with patients and earn their trust. For this reason we can't get away with the same things that the rest of the public can. Although there is a lot of individuals who are pro-choice there are also a lot of individuals who are pro-life. It is not our job to or duty to comment on the matter nor judge others for their beliefs. I guarantee that the majority of you defending these students would be appalled if a transwoman was the keynote speaker and students decided to walk out and leave. You can cite the differences between these comparisons, but in essence they are both similar because they both revolve around the values that one holds. As medical professionals, we are expected to be open and understanding to others opinions/values without injecting our own biases and beliefs into the mix.

Medical professionals are held to a higher standard in the world, undoubtedly because we must form close bonds with patients and earn their trust. For this reason we can't get away with the same things that the rest of the public can. Although there is a lot of individuals who are pro-choice there are also a lot of individuals who are pro-life. It is not our job to or duty to comment on the matter nor judge others for their beliefs. I guarantee that the majority of you defending these students would be appalled if a transwoman was the keynote speaker and students decided to walk out and leave. You can cite the differences between these comparisons, but in essence they are both similar because they both revolve around the values that one holds. As medical professionals, we are expected to be open and understanding to others opinions/values without injecting our own biases and beliefs into the mix.
Those are not the same thing though. As you said, doctors have to be non-judgemental, so at the end of the day, they must uphold a patient's choice without judgment, if abortion is what they want, even if that goes against the doctor's own morals. If they refuse, one can argue they are imposing their own moral values onto the patient. Doctors have the power to harm their patients by refusing abortion care. Who does a trans person harm by existing, as long as they aren't demanding everybody to transition against their will (like if doctors denied patients abortion)?
If a doctor is pro-life themselves but still respects and helps patients access safe abortions, I respect that. If a doctor is pro-life and denies their patients access to abortion because they personally believes it’s wrong, yes I believe they deserve to be judged.
I am not saying that Dr. Collier has refused abortion care for patients and I have no doubt that her abortion stance is nuanced. I am not judging her for having personal beliefs, whatever they are. Just saying your comparison does not hold up.

Last edited:
Wow. How childish. The speaker didn’t even speak on that topic and they couldn’t grant her professional respect? Way to ruin the white coat ceremony for other students and families. Lmbo people are actually defending this? Imagine taking this attitude with a resident, attending or fellow physician that you have to work with. Few would have the audacity to do so. This is honestly an embarrassing show of immaturity. Grow up

• Dislike
Wow. How childish. The speaker didn’t even speak on that topic and they couldn’t grant her professional respect? Way to ruin the white coat ceremony for other students and families. Lmbo people are actually defending this? Imagine taking this attitude with a resident, attending or fellow physician that you have to work with. Few would have the audacity to do so. This is honestly an embarrassing show of immaturity. Grow up
Wow. How childish. Complaining about people participating in civil dissent.
I see you are an M2, so I assume you have all the qualifications and experience in life to call those a year below you in med school childish and immature.

• Dislike
Those are not the same thing though. As you said, doctors have to be non-judgemental, so at the end of the day, they must uphold a patient's choice without judgment, if abortion is what they want, even if that goes against the doctor's own morals. If they refuse, one can argue they are imposing their own moral values onto the patient. Doctors have the power to harm their patients by refusing abortion care. Who does a trans person harm by existing, as long as they aren't demanding everybody to transition against their will (like if doctors denied patients abortion)?
If a doctor is pro-life themselves but still respects and helps patients access safe abortions, I respect that. If a doctor is pro-life and denies their patients access to abortion because they personally believes it’s wrong, yes I believe they deserve to be judged.
I am not saying that Dr. Collier has refused abortion care for patients and I have no doubt that her abortion stance is nuanced. I am not judging her for having personal beliefs, whatever they are. Just saying your comparison does not hold up.
It’s a much grayer topic. At the most extreme, to a doctor that views abortion as murder, referring someone to another physician who will perform abortions is akin to saying “here is a referral to a hitman to take care of that pesky spouse.”

If the act of abortion is fundamentally immoral (for arguments sake—I’m not picking a side here), then aiding it in any way is immoral as well. Yes it’s going against your ethical responsibility to your patient in a sense (provide care—though it is up to us to determine appropriate care), but if your patient is pregnant and you view a fetus as a human being then you have two patients and are obligated to look after both. Clearly if the fetus is a human there’s more harm to them if mom gets an abortion than there is harm to mom if mom doesn’t get an abortion, barring a case where the pregnancy is putting her life at risk.

Once again just making arguments, not necessarily my own. But it’s clear that there will never be a consensus on abortion so as a society we really need to figure out how to avoid the issue in the first place.

I vote we just make IUDs free for everyone. Ship them around the world—free! Other county’s citizens will love America, we’ll have far fewer abortions (and thus fewer women getting stuck in these horrible situations), the drug companies will make gazzilions, and it’ll be the most beneficial thing you can do to fight climate change.

Yeah I'd walk out too. I'd also not have an issue with conservative students walking out on a very activist pro-choice speaker too for that matter.

to a doctor that views abortion as murder, referring someone to another physician who will perform abortions is akin to saying “here is a referral to a hitman to take care of that pesky spouse.”
Again, that would be the doctor's personal belief, so it ideally should not be relevant in them fulfilling their duty as care providers.
if your patient is pregnant and you view a fetus as a human being then you have two patients and are obligated to look after both.
Still, viewing the pregnant patient and the fetus as two patients is based on the doctor's own value system. If their pregnant patient doesn't agree with them, and yet the doctor still sticks to it and compromises the pregnant patient's health against their best interests, how is that not letting your value interfere with care? Or should we let doctors always prioritize their value system over their pregnant patients?

Status
Not open for further replies.