MD & DO residency at cooper university hospital: live in camden or commute from philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undercover_Brother

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am leaning toward living in philly because it seems safer and more fun things to do.

however, i just found out there's a $5 toll fee on the ben franklin bridge when you drive west over it. this would probably end up costing me around $100/month, maybe less with that $18 off for frequent users.

instead of driving, i could take the patco but all the places i can find around the stations are sooooo expensive

i could live further and take a bus or another train to a patco station, but i just really don't want to spend an hour commuting

any one have any tips? tbh; i'm starting to regret taking this job. with the coronavirus, it seems like there's no point in living in a cool city if you can't go out anymore. i've also never lived in a city where they charge you for parking at your own apartment...

Members don't see this ad.

Live in Haddon. Best of both worlds. You can go to Philly on the PATCO in less than 30 minutes.

EDIT: I would never drive that bridge everyday. PATCO life.

Also, please be kind to me on rotations XD

Welcome to Cooper!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's 3 places to live for CMSRU and/or Cooper. Haddon Township, (Camden County [READ: Jersey]), Camden, Philly.

Haddon Township is just outside of Camden. More suburban, I commute about 15 minutes by PATCO or my car, depending on the day (same distance and time). Has malls, parks, PATCO lines, food. You name it. I like it b/c you can go to Philly or Camden, then like a great aunt or uncle does, "give the child back" as in, say, I''ve enjoyed Philly for the day, I'm going home now. I say Haddon but I really mean Voorhees, etc. All on the Jersey side, close enough to, but not, Camden.

Camden is Camden. I know there are residents who buy their house/apartment then re-lease it when they move on, buy a house later, etc.

Philly to me is great. And a lot of people live there. Personally, I don't like the return on investment of living there.

There's 3 places to live for CMSRU and/or Cooper. Haddon Township, (Camden County [READ: Jersey]), Camden, Philly.

Haddon Township is just outside of Camden. More suburban, I commute about 15 minutes by PATCO or my car, depending on the day (same distance and time). Has malls, parks, PATCO lines, food. You name it. I like it b/c you can go to Philly or Camden, then like a great aunt or uncle does, "give the child back" as in, say, I''ve enjoyed Philly for the day, I'm going home now. I say Haddon but I really mean Voorhees, etc. All on the Jersey side, close enough to, but not, Camden.

Camden is Camden. I know there are residents who buy their house/apartment then re-lease it when they move on, buy a house later, etc.

Philly to me is great. And a lot of people live there. Personally, I don't like the return on investment of living there.
cool thanks for the info! any particular apartment complexes you recommend to check out or avoid? i just want a wash/dryer in unit, and a relatively safe neighborhood

Last edited:
cool thanks for the info! any particular apartment complexes you recommend to check out or avoid? i just want a wash/dryer in unit, and a relatively safe neighborhood
My friend lived in The Village all four years of med school. Has a gym, pool, and in unit washer/dryer. It was nice.

Reactions: 1 user
The world is your oyster honestly.

With those being your only requirements, a lot is on the table. I live in a place with no in-unit but for what we have, I love it ( in Haddon).

If you want, let me know about NJ areas, complexes, etc. and I can tell you about them (pros/cons). I can't really help with Philly that much, apart from food and places to visit.

If you like the convenience, you could try to find someone around Haddon Avenue, literally across the street from Cooper. Again, there are some residents that choose to live there.

Camden is really what you make of it. Some of it's dangerous of course, but not really if you aren't being stupid (e.g., if you find yourself in an alley at 8 pm: play stupid games, win stupid prizes).

You'll get the beggar here and there, but as an example, people walk north 3 blocks to the Broadway PATCO and are always fine. The police are always around too, so they keep just the right amount of peace.

It's really no different than NYC or Baltimore. Hairy places here and there. My only recommendation is to not walk south down Broadway towards the inner-inner city. There's literally no reason to go down that way (but do try the bodega across from CMSRU and just 100 feet up the street on the corner (the only thing worth going down Broadway for) if you want a cheap deli sandwich or the cheap anything really. It's worth it. Not the boujee place RIGHT across the street, that's expensive (good, but expensive)).

I live in Collingswood, NJ. About a 10 minute drive to Cooper, right next to Haddon (Collingswood is even closer actually). I commute to philly and cross the bridge every day which is fine but, It'd be much nicer not to have to do that! Check out Collingswood or Haddon Township or even Haddonsfield (a bit further, collingswood is the closest). Collingswood and Haddonsfield are dry towns meaning, no alcohol sold in restaurants (which sounds terrible but its actually amazing because all the restaurants are BYOB). Although its a dry town, theres also a cool brewery in Collingswood (devils creek brewery. Although there are no bars in collingswood or haddonfield, haddon township is a 5 min drive at most and has some good bars. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about the area! Cost of living/parking is better here on the jersey side of the bridge, so I'd recommend staying here but, if you really enjoy the city thats understandable.

Good: Metropolitan apartments are good, The lumberyard apartments are good (both in collingswood, right on haddon ave), Haddon town center (in haddon township)

AVOID parkview apartments

Good: Metropolitan apartments are good, The lumberyard apartments are good (both in collingswood, right on haddon ave), Haddon town center (in haddon township)

i was just looking at parkview. what's wrong with it?

Members don't see this ad :)

Theres a collingswood facebook page and everyone is always talking about it. Most of the crime that happens in Collingswood seems to occur at the Parkview and the community seems to collectively dislike it. Most of what I know about the Parkview is from that facebook page...maybe not the most reliable source but I think someone died there last year from getting shot?! idk i don't hear good things so I'd just avoid it. The stories I hear about the Parkview really dont seem to match what Collingswood is (cute, quaint town)

Theres a collingswood facebook page and everyone is always talking about it. Most of the crime that happens in Collingswood seems to occur at the Parkview and the community seems to collectively dislike it. Most of what I know about the Parkview is from that facebook page...maybe not the most reliable source but I think someone died there last year from getting shot?! idk i don't hear good things so I'd just avoid it. The stories I hear about the Parkview really dont seem to match what Collingswood is (cute, quaint town)
jesus, that is good to know

There are many places to live that are not far from Cooper in Camden. Each has their own pros and cons. There are some towns where the rent is a little higher (haddonfield, Moorestown) and others probably a little lower. I live in Southern NJ and did my residency just outside of philadelphia and the bridge is not that bad.

I live in the area so if you have questions, let me know.

There are many places to live that are not far from Cooper in Camden. Each has their own pros and cons. There are some towns where the rent is a little higher (haddonfield, Moorestown) and others probably a little lower. I live in Southern NJ and did my residency just outside of philadelphia and the bridge is not that bad.

I live in the area so if you have questions, let me know.
how was the traffic commuting from NJ into philly?

how was the traffic commuting from NJ into philly?
Since I had to be at the hospital by 7am for floor months and 6am for ICU, there was never a problem. The only issue was when I was coming home from an overnight, there would be traffic, but in order not to kill myself or someone else because I was tired (by the way if you drive while drowsy in NJ it is the same penalty as DWI) I would go to the call room and nap for about 2 hours which was enough to avoid traffic and get home safely.

The traffic is totally fine most days. Even having to get there at 9am some days, theres only slight traffic on the bridge. Maybe adds 5-10 mins to your commute as opposed to getting to work/school at 7 or 8am. Now that i've started rotations and get to school at 6:30 am, I cruisseee to Temple all the way in North philly within 25 mins

Live in center city off the PATCO line and commute into camden. You will regret it if you live in camden

I highly recommend you live on the other side in New Jersey nearby the Petco and take the PATCO or drive into Camden, and when you want to go to Philly, drive further or take the PATCO further.

If you're a new resident, I'm not so sure that the return on investment will be worth it, especially if you want to live near the PATCO.

Just my take on it. That's all I'll say I'm done. I do hope you find a steal of a place no matter where you go though!