Residency backups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny3022

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I have been thinking about this for a while now and at last come to SDN to maybe find an answer. I am really interested in Radonc but the competitiveness of the field makes me worried that I won't match. I already took a year off to do a master's and really can't/don't want to delay residency another year. In any case, how likely is it to gear one's app toward a radonc residency but still apply to another field as a backup (namely Anesthesiology) and have a good shot at getting into a reputable program in the Northeast. How can I go about doing this (in terms of letters, apps, ranking, etcs)? I know anesthesia is difficult in its own right so I know this may not really be realistic but any input would help. My stats and such are below:

Grades first 2 years- bunch of high passes, couple of honors, nothing mind blowing
Clerkship grades so far: High pass family and psych
Step 1: 240
Extra degree = MPH
Research: in process of getting my master's thesis published which I will be first author, poster presentation for master's project, have opportunity to do Radonc research this year as well as during my 4th year (which I plan to take advantage of) but may not lead to any more publications.

Thanks for your anticipated response.

Members don't see this ad.

just out of curiosity, why are you interested in radiation oncology...seems like a distant stretch from anesthesia...

Hey all -

I have been thinking about this for a while now and at last come to SDN to maybe find an answer. I am really interested in Radonc but the competitiveness of the field makes me worried that I won't match. I already took a year off to do a master's and really can't/don't want to delay residency another year. In any case, how likely is it to gear one's app toward a radonc residency but still apply to another field as a backup (namely Anesthesiology) and have a good shot at getting into a reputable program in the Northeast. How can I go about doing this (in terms of letters, apps, ranking, etcs)? I know anesthesia is difficult in its own right so I know this may not really be realistic but any input would help. My stats and such are below:

Grades first 2 years- bunch of high passes, couple of honors, nothing mind blowing
Clerkship grades so far: High pass family and psych
Step 1: 240
Extra degree = MPH
Research: in process of getting my master's thesis published which I will be first author, poster presentation for master's project, have opportunity to do Radonc research this year as well as during my 4th year (which I plan to take advantage of) but may not lead to any more publications.

Thanks for your anticipated response.

I am interested in both fields for different reasons. Without writing a personal statement defending my desire to go into rad onc, I can summarize that from an intellectual standpoint it is the most interesting field of medicine (the basic science disease process of cancer and constantly emerging new treatments -- c'mon who wouldn't want to play around with a cyberknife?!) as well as having the ability to help patients get though one of the most difficult periods in his/her life is a quality Rad Onc has alone. I know I'd be good at it - its only a matter of having that opportunity.

I wouldn't have to ask this question if Rad Onc wasn't such a small field. I'm just being realistic- I don't want to take another year off to do research because I want to move on with my life (like get engaged and married) and I really can't afford to keep increasing my huge debt. In any case, an answer to my original question (is this really a possibility?) would be helpful and insight on how to go about it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

I might be wrong, but I think radiation oncology is is not as ultra-competitive if people think. There are several people with 220s who match (and that to at some upper tier programs). I know in our program this year, the number of applicants is down this year. From the usual 195-200, we are in the 160s. Are other programs in a similar situation this year?